Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Plant (Vegetable) Filters

This thread shall live on forever, and those who refuse to learn from it will be doomed to relearn everything contained therein the hard way.

Just for grins and giggles, we took a couple of Hyacynth from my brides water garden (that is a pond for plants, not Koi) and put them in the outer ring of my Koi ponds vortex filters. One of those vortex filters is fed by the bottom drain, the other by the skimmer. Both are for settlement with media baskets for added biofiltration before going to the pumps.

It was entertaining to watch the plants grow like wildfire in both containers, but with different long-term results.

The hyacinth in the Skimmer filter grew massively, deep green, flowered profusely, and had to be harvested and discarded almost daily.
    The hyacinth in the Bottom drain filter began the same, but slowly became sickly looking, speckled, yellowed, and looked pathetic.
    If I swapped the plants from one chamber to the other, they would immediately begin to adapt (for better or worse) to their new environment.
    Both filters are on the same pond, and physically located within 6" of each other.

The only visible difference beneath the surface was the presence of mulm on the BD circuit roots (to be expected in BD settlement) and the absence of mulm in the skimmer circuit (likewise expected as only ultra fines get past the skimmer basket in the first place).

Direct contact with "hot" manure burns the roots of an ammonia lover like hyacinth.

That should be food for thought for anyone thinking that leaving the sludge lying around while the hyacinth take care of the light work is a good idea... Sooner or later that manure is going to come back to haunt you and hyacinth won't be your salvation.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    This thread shall live on forever, and those who refuse to learn from it will be doomed to relearn everything contained therein the hard way.

Just for grins and giggles, we took a couple of Hyacynth from my brides water garden (that is a pond for plants, not Koi) and put them in the outer ring of my Koi ponds vortex filters. One of those vortex filters is fed by the bottom drain, the other by the skimmer. Both are for settlement with media baskets for added biofiltration before going to the pumps.

It was entertaining to watch the plants grow like wildfire in both containers, but with different long-term results.

The hyacinth in the Skimmer filter grew massively, deep green, flowered profusely, and had to be harvested and discarded almost daily.
    The hyacinth in the Bottom drain filter began the same, but slowly became sickly looking, speckled, yellowed, and looked pathetic.
    If I swapped the plants from one chamber to the other, they would immediately begin to adapt (for better or worse) to their new environment.
    Both filters are on the same pond, and physically located within 6" of each other.

The only visible difference beneath the surface was the presence of mulm on the BD circuit roots (to be expected in BD settlement) and the absence of mulm in the skimmer circuit (likewise expected as only ultra fines get past the skimmer basket in the first place).

Direct contact with "hot" manure burns the roots of an ammonia lover like hyacinth.

That should be food for thought for anyone thinking that leaving the sludge lying around while the hyacinth take care of the light work is a good idea... Sooner or later that manure is going to come back to haunt you and hyacinth won't be your salvation.
    That is interesting. ....Also tells why it is important to dump settlement as frequently as you can!
    PapaBear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Is the picture shown the large pond or the small pond? I guess it is the small pond, as it shows the water hyacinth. I assume the koi are in the large pond, and that there are no koi in the small pond, as the small pond acts as the veggie filter. But then I am confused. If the small pond is the plant filter, what is the large pond's bio filter when there is no stream water or run-off, so that the pump doesn't pump water to the small pond above? I guess I'm missing a lot of information about your pond.
    sorry for late reply, the pic is the big pond, the small pond is on top which has the water hyacinth. Water gets pump up then filter via the small pond and down through the waterfall. It's a very easy no cleaning concept. I'll try to post a better pic.

Sorry for my lack of computer knowledge, how does one post picture from iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    Sorry for my lack of computer knowledge, how does one post picture from iPhone
    Using the iPhone's web browser it should be the same as using a computer...
    When at the bottom of the post you click on GO ADVANCED.
    Then I selected the INSERT IMAGE icon (on the Left of video icon).
    Then I choose CHOOSE FILE from computer CHOOSE FILE and SELECT FILES from phone's PHOTOS LIBRARY.
    After I select which file from phone's PHOTOs LIBRARY, you have to select UPLOAD FILE(S).

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Using the iPhone's web browser it should be the same as using a computer...
    When at the bottom of the post you click on GO ADVANCED.
    Then I selected the INSERT IMAGE icon (on the Left of video icon).
    Then I choose CHOOSE FILE from computer CHOOSE FILE and SELECT FILES from phone's PHOTOS LIBRARY.
    After I select which file from phone's PHOTOs LIBRARY, you have to select UPLOAD FILE(S).
    thank you for your help ricshaw

I keep on getting invalid file after inserting image from computer file.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    I keep on getting invalid file after inserting image from computer file.
    Is it a jpeg? Are you trying to upload multiple files?

See: http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/faq.ph...b3_attachments

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920