Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Plant (Vegetable) Filters

Sansai

Plants/no plants

Larry you make some excellent points, aquaponics is all about harvesting produce, and removing spent plants from the system, its not about building a stagnant swamp.

It does remove waste from the system. Once mine is set up I will be checking water parameters with the Koi tanks/ponds and comparing, closely, it will be an interesting project having the two different methods to compare.

From my research on the net I think that the Bakki Showers are the best way to go, I also believe in the aquaponics having done it, and seen it do well. We are going to have a small system to expand our garden growing season. And to have plankton ponds in the hoop house close to the aquaponics. Those plus the breeder tanks will give us an interesting comparison, I am looking forward to all. All will get tested daily and tweaked as we go along.

To tell the truth its been way too long since I have been able to get my teeth into something like this.

Jake

Oswego, NY
    We are all in this together
    Jake Levi
    Oswego, NY

Tategoi
    I have nothing to add except to say "thanks" to Mike for *bumping* this thread forward and thanks to Larry and others for some insightful and well-thought posts.

I'll keep on reading and learning......

I use a FEW plants to filter my 60,000 gallon grow-out pond! Dimensions are 40x80. Pond is home to 40 koi 16-24". Koi do not stay in the pond during the winter, and the pond gets pumped and cleaned each fall. The pond has a 6" bottom drain that runs to a settling chamber and two 7500gph pumps. Single Pondmaster 150 air pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plant (Vegetable) Filters-palo_hyacinths.jpg  

Greg's set-up exemplifies a point most new hobbyists cannot quite absorb. At 1500 gallons per fish and total coverage by hyacinth, the situation is quite a bit different from the more typical 300 gallons per fish and only a floating island of hyacinths. (Of course, they want to see their koi more regularly. )

Greg: How long is the growing season that koi are kept in this pond, and do you have exhausted hyacinths dying over the course of the growing season?

I fancy myself an expert when it comes to Water Hyacinths. I use them for raising fry, as keeping fry out of pumps and filters is always a hassle. I also put them in streams of heavily moving water to remove ammonia. I have read that they prefer ammonia directly rather than nitrate.

Growing season for Hyacinths in my area of Iowa is from June to September. None of the Hyacinths will die. Onces they multiple up to the point of using all available space, they then grow upwards competing with each other for usable light. They seem to max out at 3' tall with leaves the size of pie plates.

Once frost is iminent we remove them immediately. To overwinter Water Hyacinths, I have large cement mixing tubs 2x3 I think. I put 2 gallons of dirt on the base, put small water hyacinths on top and put enough water in to make it muddy. This tricks the water hyacinths into thinking its drought and they grow a different set of roots to take advantage of the nutrients directly from the soil. I keep these tubs in my greenhouse where they get full sun and 65F air temps. They overwinter fine, and come spring I put them outside. They transition back to floating roots and start multiplying again.

There is also a trick to making them multiply faster. Always break off the stem that they use to push a child plant away once the child plant is of size to float on its own. If you keep them thinned down to about 50% of an area they will double by a factor of about 5 every week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plant (Vegetable) Filters-hyacinths_greenhouse.jpg  

Sansai

Water Hyacinth

Hi Greg

Great pics, thanks,

I agree, water hyacinth has its place, I have used it in Israel in some natural breeding ponds of mirror carp. It works very well.

I love your pond and greenhouse !

Jake

Oswego, NY

Bumping up for Yamato.

Daihonmei
    wow, that is a blast from the past!! Forget the plants! Its amazing how many people/contributors have left the hobby since this thread was started!! Like seeing my high school year book! LOLs JR

Mike thanks so much!
    I have hyacinth in the last chamber of the filter, over the filtration media, in sort of removable shelf...Together with some potted plants in anoxic baskets...above water with the roots being only submerged...
    I read so much about anaerobic conditions created by potted plants so I did not want to take any chances.
    I hope that is OK...
    I also have a hoop of hyacinth in the pond...At first I put some loose hyacinth in the pond, but my Koi teared the roots up, clogged my pump and buggered the pump...so I am really surprised how he has a pond full of floating hyacinth doing so well.
    Neither the hyacinth in the pond or in the filter is doing well.It is barely surviving.It is not looking good at all.
    Thought of his reasoning at first that they need ammonia, but I have ammonia in the pond...so why it is not doing well it beats me!
    This is a old picture before I put in the hyacinth in the filter.
    Maybe my plants are removing the phosphates and thats why the algae stopped growing????
    The hyacinth in the pond looked like that for a very short while only...now it is mostly brown and black.The reason I put it is for nutrients removal ( ignorance on my part) and for the fish to have some shade...My pond is not shaded and mostly shallow, with lots of sun. My fish is never in the deep part unless to spawn...always in the shallows...I wonder why.
    I had a spawn again yesterday. I will put some hyacinth with the fry if the eggs hatch.
    Lots of good info! It just shows how many preconceived ideas I have, and how much I need to learn...but I am getting there...slowly with lots of confusion, since there is nothing straight forward with one answer only, but I might reach one day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plant (Vegetable) Filters-039-640x480-.jpg   Plant (Vegetable) Filters-001-640x480-.jpg  

MCA
    My pond has plants...several varities of algae growing on the walls. And that is all of the flora I want in a koi pond.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast