Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Rate for Growing Out

Going Rate for Growing Out

I was just wondering what the going rate was for growing out tosai or fry. Better yet, what about rates for renting mudpond space.

Aloha,
    Carl

I was talking to a guy a few months back about renting out mud ponds. He was talking about buying a koi farm and just renting out a few of the pond. I think the farm has like 30 good size ponds, and he was talking about renting out one pond to me for $250 a month. I think I would have took him up on it, but the farm will not have anyone at it during the week. To much can go wrong without anyone keeping a eye on the farm if you ask me.

Tom

In japan I always payed a minimum of $500. USD for one year for one nissai or sansai. It increased the older they got. The payment covered growth pond and winter storage with spring return ( states or mud pond ) at which time more money was required. That may sound extravagent but for all the work and responsibility for their well being, it really wasn't. I always was satisfied with the results.

I know Arthur is planning to get some of his tosai out in a grow pond situation soon for his customers and it will be interesting to see what they can achieve.

In Japan I have paid a varying rate from Nothing (when included with the price of the koi or the breeder really wanted to keep it there for longer) to 30,000Yen (about $300) for Nisai, to 50,000 yen (about $500) for older than Nisai. have never paid more than that.

I have paid $300 on up to $500.. Of course every grow out season you keep it there you have to pay.

Joe

It may seem like a lot to spend, but understanding that the koi breeder is including not just space in a mud pond, but daily (or more frequent) visits, feeding, transport, etc. ... it is not much to charge. Imagine the cost of boarding a dog for just one month, and that would not be an improvement in the dog's environment.

That is VERY reasonable in my book. The only down side I see is you don't have the pleasure of seeing first hand your koi's development throughout the year. Kind of impersonal koi keeping, but what better care then with the breeder himself...and at a bargain price. At $300-$500 per year, thats only $.85-$1.42 per day.

Geeeeeez, I calculated my monthly water/sewer bill alone would be near $200-$300/month. Hmmmmmmm.

What a hoot! A koi keeper with no intention of EVER having a pond of their own. Do it AkaiSan. You could enter some shows, meets lots of people and have an excuse to go visit the breeder.

-steve

Akai-san you should talk to Brian in regards to not having a pond and having alot of fish in mudponds at the breeders....Brian has quite abit of fish at Momotaro and he doesn't have a pond built yet.

Hmmmmm..... koikeeping without a pond would certainly save space. But so much of the pleasure of koikeeping comes from not repeating a mistake. Gotta make some mistakes to learn not to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast