Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: A Rainbow of Showa

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Raffle comes very close to my dream idea of a powerful Showa pattern. Some will think her( ?) Sumi too heavy. I have a weakness for heavy Sumi in Showa, and sparse Sumi on Sanke...
    Not Me The bold Sumi pattern on a Showa makes it more powerful to my eye and this one fits the bill. The beni looks like it has good depth to it as well (nice dark centers on the scales). I wish it was in our pond . Then again, any of your obsessions would do nicely

MikeM -

You can post the same image twice. Just use your "save as" button and give the photo a different title.

MikeP: Thanks for the suggestion, but it only worked for one tosai photo. Since it was taken by me with same camera etc as others, I don't know why it is not blocked when re-named and others are.

Anyway, a little progress... here's Four as tosai from the Spring of '05, and pics of her from Fall '06 (not posted before). I think it really helps to see these together to take in the changes in the Sumi... From approx. 11" to 24+"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Rainbow of Showa-fourtosaispring.jpeg   A Rainbow of Showa-fournov06-019.jpg   A Rainbow of Showa-fournov06-003.jpg  

Some more thoughts on Sumi:

Notice how often Sumi appears overlying a Hi patch, but is either just a vague shadow or not visible at all over the Shiro? A question I've wondered about over the last few years is whether it is reliably predictive that where clear Sumi overlies Hi, will adjoining areas of submerged Sumi deepen to equal intensity? When I've asked this question on various boards, I've gotten different answers covering just about all possibilities. It seems that where Hi forms there is a greater concentration of the color cells holding pigment, not just Hi, but also the cells which hold melanin. So, it is common to see Sumi over Hi before it concentrates elsewhere. But, as far as assuming what will happen in the Shiro adjoining Sumi covered Hi, to date these 9 Showa go both ways. Four and the Nogami show Sumi concentrating in a predictable fashion next to the Hi. Pumpkin does not. The Maruyama is indeterminable. We'll need to wait a few years before any conclusion is possible.

And, some thoughts on how Sumi develops:

In these 9 Showa we can see 3 different styles of Sumi development.
    (1)Four is a good example of what I call "watercolor Sumi". The pigment at first causes a gray tone to a scale and then seems to pool along an edge as it thickens. In the photo above it can be seen that sometimes the dark edge is at the base of a scale, but sometimes all around the edge, or even at the outer edge of a scale. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Over time the black concentrates and becomes solid over the scale, like black watercolor paint building layers.
    (2) The Nogami shows a different style. The Sumi "rises" creating scales which are a relatively even gray... a Kage effect. Over time these scales become black in an even fashion.
    (3) Then there is Pumpkin and the Maruyama... Sumi coming out intensely from the base of the scale.

Of course, I guess Vamp, the Marusada Showa, could be called a fourth style, but she is so unique I'd hesitate to say she is an example of anything but herself.

None of these styles are really like classic Sanke Sumi, but the Nogami sorta comes close. Can we say that one style is the one that will produce high quality Sumi? ...Or, that another style will produce poor Sumi? I've not come across anything on the subject in my reading.

So, another year has gone bye. The next year will be a good one for real progress as some go through their fourth and fifth summers. I think I've got all the Showa I can handle. But, there is a grow-out Hoshino Kohaku that's looking like it may be male. ...I bet Brady has a female Hi Showa lurking around somewhere. And there's a Showa in New Jersey that will summer in the mud at Quality Koi...

Kohaku are more refined Nishikigoi, but if you've got a half dozen, it seems to me that you've got what there is to have. Showa, being less refined, range all over the rainbow.

MikeM . . .

a beautiful thread. Insighful commentary and much to be learned. Thanks, Don

Glad you enjoy it, Don.

The real purpose of this thread is to force me to organize my thoughts as I learn from these fish. Sharing it in public keeps me on my toes.

Folks should understand that my guesses and musings are just that... guesses and musings. The photos show what they show. They may give others some different ideas, and that's good.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011