Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Rainbow of Showa

and I forgot to say that the few little red spots on that koi looks like the sumi is coming in around that and I think will over take those spots. I want to see this koi when it finished. Keep us posted.

Jumbo
    Morning Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but #5 is a doitsu fish, yes? JR

Interesting comments. I've no "a year later" surprise photos. In fact, I do not have the fish! These are Showa I reserved last November right after coming out of the mud ponds at Brady Brandwood's farm. Brady did the selecting to get me one of each of the 5 types he produces.

As to #1, a 16+" nisai, which Brady thought at harvest was likely female. What I find interesting on this one is the high hump of shoulder and the comparative flatness of the head between the eyes.

#2 is a 18" nisai.

#3 is a 16" nisai, clearly female; and,yes, how the Hi develops on this old style will be as much of a question as the Sumi. Is somebody humming Kobayashi in the background?

#4 is tosai. A long mystery there. Where #1 is sleek, like an Afghan Hound, this one is a crumpled bull dog. Which will be the most desirable at age 6?

#5 is not doitsu, JR. That was my reaction as well. ("Yeah, completely different, but, I don't want a doitsu Showa.") The photo is of a very young tosai. The skin over the head is so thin that you are seeing the skull. This is an example of what Brady calls his "New Age" Showa ... I think the distinguishing trait will prove to be the white. I am told that it takes until year three for the Sumi pattern to emerge. Dick: When you picked this one as the "new" type, you were absolutely right. So new, that we'll just have to figure it out as she/he grows.

They will be arriving in the next week or so. I'll try to get progress shots of the effect of 6 months in winter quarters. Then begins my education on Showa development.

While these may (or may not) turn into very nice Showa, I do have one coming (perhaps on Saturday) that I have admired in person for over 4 years. One of the prettiest faces ever. She will be queen of the pond.

Mike, I'm happy for you. Sounds like a grand and glorious experiment to learn under similar conditions what the various "kinds' will do in your pond! I wish you many days of enjoyment!

Jumbo
    well this indeed will be a grand study then! As a wagoi then, # 5 intrigues me. I'll be humbled once again if #1 turns out to be female. Brady knows his stock obviously, but that nose says - 'I'm a boy' to me? I'll keep quite however, as I can't afford to put another JR dollar on the line!

Mike, I hope I misunderstood you and you do have that koi coming in with the others, right? If not that would be a shame as I really think this koi is going to be a very good Showa. If you do have it coming in with the others I can wait to see it.

Sansai
    I look forward to seeing the progression on #4. Very nice collection.

Jim-

Since we have a period of time before Mike has new pictures, can you post the picture of your fish and the comments on her shortcomings?

It must come with some mix feelings that you look at fish with such a critical eye as every fish has it's flaws. The Louisville show is this weekend. I'll be bringing my same troop of fish that I've brought the last 3 years. No new fish to show. One still in Japan, one shiro still developing and a few that did not survive the earthquake.

Mike

Hey Mike dont get me wrong, Im not downing any of the koi, as a matter of fact he has some nice showa and I would give my right arm to have # 5, I just think the koi would do well in a show that all. I will show you a doitsu sanka that I have that I hope grows to be a nice koi. Give it your all good and bad, it always helps to see what others think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Rainbow of Showa-mvc-006x.jpg  

Is that one Metallic KFG?

Mike, so sorry to hear about your losses.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast