Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Rainbow of Showa

A Rainbow of Showa

Here are 5 Showa. Each very different. Nisai and tosai.

A lot of koi history in these variations on the theme of Showa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Rainbow of Showa-b-showa-2.jpg   A Rainbow of Showa-b-showa-1.jpg   A Rainbow of Showa-b-showa-3.jpg   A Rainbow of Showa-b-showa-4.jpg   A Rainbow of Showa-b-showa-5-na-.jpg  

Nice Showas...I like the first Showa as tategoi and I like the second one for show....but MikeM you have a nice selection of Showas....

Give us some History Mike.. breeders especially.......

I like the last one on the end.

to me it's the one that will make inroads into what the showa of the future will be. While i can appreciate an "old style", that's exactly what it is...something from the past while a new definition is being written.

am anxious to hear from others. thanks Mike

Talking

#3 has the "stumpy" look of traditional showa. Since I like kindai-showas, #5 looks really interesting.

Daihonmei
    #4 tategoi for me.
    I admire the quality of the shiro and hi on #5 , and realize that the black comes up where it wants, not where you think. But I can't get past the bekko looking front end blue, and the heavy rear-ended Blue...which might indicate how the black is going to form.
    Time.

Sansai
    Not my type of showas (sorry mike...just personal taste) but if I have to choose I will narrow them down to #4 and 5. #5 will probably eventually be the better fish as #4 will have a messy mid-section with too much sumi covering the hi.

Somehow I got a funny feeling Mike has a surprise in store for us as it is well known that kois with sumi can change very dramatically. Eagerly awaiting your surprise, Mike and thanks for this excercise.

Regards,
    dtbh

Jumbo
    Good showa are very hard to find. Some nice male fish here but I see some heart break in some of the others. Showa is a great learning fish and allows one to eventually step back and see forest through the trees for the very first time. In that regard every showa is a teacher if you have the eye to learn.

Goi number 1&2# will teach you about male koi finish.

# 3 will teach you about beni vs. hi in showa and about grades of sumi.

# 4 about shiroji and how it makes a fish look special.

#5 about hard white as an illusion and the power needed in pattern and pattern balance.

Donít want to divert the thread or steal Mikeís thunder but when he is through with his thoughts, Iíd like to post a picture of one of my showa that I just got a picture of today- I think it could make for a great lesson. And it is NOT a perfect fish and I will show you its short comings.

JR

Hi MikeM,

I will discard the males.

#3 is an interesting young fish, maybe one that Brady could have bred a couple of years ago. The conformation is great for the age and I would definitely keep that fish to see how it develops. IMHO the hi will improve over the next 2 years. As for the sumi it does look promising, but as you know, with old style Showa, the proof is in the pudding.

#4 I hope that the thin tail stop is a product of the photo angle. This is a more difficult fish to predict. The hi is good and looks like it is there to stay. The sumi is very young. The lack of it in the dorsal makes me hope that sumi in the mid section is baby sumi that will go away. If that is all true and the rest of the sumi develops it will be a great fish, especially considering the quality of shiro.

#5 is way to early in type development for me to state an opinion.

Is this a test and you have later photos?
    Arthur

I would have to go with koi #5 when the sumi comes in that is going to be one very nice koi, and the sumi looks like it is going to be good and strong also the shiro is very good. Also that koi is clean now, just wait untill it finishes. I would put my money on that koi any day.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast