Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Uh...um.. what about a small "fun" male?

Uh...um.. what about a small "fun" male?

I have several eggy gosanke females who really could probably stand to loose the eggs. Koi love is so dangerous and violent and the driving gang of males effect does not help. What if I put the nubile females in with one small but exciting male koi? That way he would be spread so thin he could not hurt them.

Daihonmei
    <---volunteer

I always imagined that a female needs a male of similar size. My thinking was that he needs the weight and strength to give her a good bump to force the eggs out. When you watch little yearlings males trying to spawn with a mature female, they never seem to get her positioned right and do not seem to be able to push hard enough to get those large clouds of eggs expelled.

Part of the stress of spawning may be that the female does not get a chance to relax for six to ten hours because the male(s) are always in pursuit and keep her moving. The bumping part is rough and stressful, but then again, they are not going to quit until she runs out of eggs. Is it more stressful to spend ten hours spawning with a young whimp, or six hours spawning with a male who can get the job done in a hurry?

This year, I spawned a pair in a net pen for the first time. The male would get the female between the netting (1/4 inch knotless delta mesh) and himself and sort of wedge her into a "pocket" in the net. This seemed to help hold the female in place while he gave her a bump. In the net pen, there were no sharp objects or hard surfaces to force her against. They did not finish until about 10:00 - sort of typical. When I moved them back to their regular pond, she still seemed to have a normal slime coat, and did not show any abrasions later in the week.

Maybe this is all my imagination and the female has some sort of muscle contractions that help expell eggs. If you try the small male, I would like to know how it works.

-steve hopkins

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    <---volunteer
    Stud! You should have volunteered earlier, I had just lost a female ogon yesterday.

I gave away my superstud a few months ago; and for some reasons, remaining males(2 or 3) were chasing the wrong female.

I've always tried to pair my breeders with a male that's a bit smaller. water depth can also contribute to the sucesssful event. The bigger the male is to the size of the female the shallower the depth of the water as they seem to want to get beneath the female and flip up against her weight. By allowing a side by side pairing it seems to be less bruising. Only on few opccassions have I used more than one male per breeding.

my matsukawabake is due to be bred this year and she is small. 16-18 inches.
    I had to do some hunting to find a male (12-13) that was old enough. I'm thinking about a GR shiro utsuri...

Good luck SMG, glad to see your back to posting, it's been awhile. Sometime when you have time you need to bring us up with all your findings with last year's experients and your plans for this year! regards!

Daihonmei
    "I put the nubile females in with one small but exciting male koi?"

My offer is still good...is it you, savannah, janetmermaid and ?

So its still ONE male koi, not a small fun male but a large fun male, in shallow water and a soft bed, would be better ( safer) than a mob of lustfull males. Luke, we are women not koi.