Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kohaku Judging Contest.

Judging Kohak.

Out of these 3 Kohaks how would you rank them from 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

A,,,c,,,,b

Sansai

Talking

I'm rushing out now so I'll post my reasons later but after a quick look I'd say A and C are close for the best with A just taking it for me, so....

1st.....A
    2nd.....C
    3rd.....B

Editted later: Its dificult without knowing the size and age of the koi, for me anyway, but my opinion from those photo's for what its worth. A has the better body shape and it even looks male from the pecs but again could just be the photo? B body shape doesnt look hot and C looks as though it could be younger than the others? Always hard from pictures though as it could simply be a 'bad' angle/moment/position etc. All three have dark looking heads but C looks about the best. In terms of pattern, A has by far the most interesting Inazuma style pattern, C is ok and B pattern does nothing at all for me, too little Hi and not particularly well balanced. As I said, A gets my vote as it looks more finished but B runs it close as it looks to be more about potential.

Obviously only my opinion and I'm usually way off

C,a,b .....
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Tosai
    1st.....A
    2nd.....B
    3rd.....C

B

A

C

1st B
    2nd A
    3rd C

Sansai
    1st B
    2nd A
    3rd C

Well, Joe, you started something here. I concur with B, A and C. But, are my reasons the same as yours? (And, Eclipsar & RobR's reasons?)

C is last because a younger, smaller fish. Or, at least the photo gives it that look.

So, the choice is between A and B. A has the more interesting pattern, but as you look at it, the Hi is not finished, there are breaks along the edges and that gives a splotchiness to her. The head is not just creamy, but yellowish. The photo was taken at a great angle, making her rather bold in aspect. B has a less interesting pattern, but better white and more finished Hi. I think the conformation is fine, but she would look better if the photo was taken at the same angle as the photo of A. Balancing it all, I'd pick B as the better. If A is a young fish, I'd like to see her in a couple of years.

Is there a real judge lurking in the house?

Well, ok let me speak for my untrained eye.

I picked C becuase of a number of reasons. The body is nice in relation to head and rest of body. The pic was taken a bit to the right so I took that into account. The head is white and consistent with the rest of the fish. The beni is good color along with the good shiroji as a nice soft background. The pattern is easy but if you look it flows thought the body much better than the rest with good odome. The pec fins to me are good shape. This koi is simple pattern but over all qualities much better.

I picked A as second. The body look ok but the head looks kinda short in photo. The head is not white but yellow but that beni and maurzome kiwa is cool on this flowery pattern kohak. But long from being finished. White on body is good so the floral pattern stands out. I like this koi it wil be very interestin when big.

C is last. The body looks off to me. The head is good then the shoulders come in. could it be gill out? But still the shoulders look like its skinny amd after that skinny in the tail. The head is very much whiter than the rest of the kohak but in saying that I look at the photo closer and the water in tub. Could it be my screen or is the resolution telling me Adobe photoshop? Look at the different shades of the water and also a couple different shades of white on the head. The hi plates are good but again the photoshop thing gets me. But yes this fish as well needs to be finished. The pattern does't flow that well that well and gets kinda messy in the tail. The head starts out good then I get lost on the second step. Dunno weather to step left or right. Take a look at the dorsal.. It has Hi in 2 different spots. Also the pec fins are very choppy.

Don't get me wrong I think all 3 kohak are nice with A and C needing work for fufture. If me I want to see B and A in my pond and pass on C

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast