Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A summer of KHV in the UK ?

Quote Originally Posted by drgas
    hi dick / mike

are we sure that Q/T at 22c + will always draw it out , some say that temp is essential but only part of the equation , you still need a trigger ie stress or poor water quality etc all things we try to aviod in QT also the introduction of other koi can be a trigger after a successful QT.

ref here :- paula reynolds artical in the health section

http://www.bkks.co.uk/

and whilst ever koi keepers harbour KHV and won't cull or own up then it will surly spread.

as for the shipper and retail out let he is local to me and often holds auction of koi on a saturday when koi were rec'd on the thursday saying the QT was done prior to shipping ?

still very unhappy with the info i have

steve
    Your dirstibutor is a moron. Lose his number.
    KHV will " break" at 70 plus degrees in a few days....
    Happy auctioning.............

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    . Benching crews for shows have the added responcibility not to infect other koi thru cross contamination. No convenient nets dripping into the neigbor's container. those who measure need to disinfect their hands and change gloves. Measuring tubs where we used to just change the plastic liners need to be disinfected with each load of koi.
    Dick-we are putting together a new infection control protocol for the Seattle show. We already have net holders that keep the owner's nets upright next to their own tanks that a wonderful club member built for us. We have separate bowls for each tank, as well. We are retiring our old tank cleaning regimen for a bleach solution and rinse before and after the show, now that some cleaning regimens have been found (in the lab) to be inadequate. Security will be charged (as will numerous club members) to keep the public from putting their hands into the tanks.

According to Vicki Burnley-Vaughn, fish pathologist at U of Georgia, KHV infection is MUCH more common in the US than we believe it to be (she does the diagnosis for that part of the country), so adequate quarantine and universal precautions are going to need to become a way of life in this hobby.
    ChrisC

Am I positive about heat only? Nope, but following Paula I have had some issues with things stated in the past. one thing is for sure, we are the bottom line of defense to beat this thing entering our pond. It is really important to put the fish thru our Q tank. Never trust someone else. ( no disrepect ). if you do it yourself to the best of your knowledge you know it was done.

I'll be anxious to hear what other's have to say about a possible trigger besides heat. Anyone got a KHA friend that might post what they've learned. I believe their courses were prepared by Duncan who's new book is due out shortly!

Vickie ?
    FFW............
    Sorry, case closed.
    Any input frm B00B ? Erik ?

Duncan ? I have the check waiting.................

Chris,

What is the new cleaning regimin? Who recommended it over the bleach of tanks b4 and after?

Tategoi
    Bob--the bleach regimen is the new one. I don't know the details of the old regimen, since I was not on the inside of those shows.

Tim Miller-Morgan, University of Oregon's Koi Veterinarian suggested the water-bleach 20:1 solution works perfectly in the lab, so that is what we are going with for our show.

Great Thnx!! We have been doing that for years for our show, but your post made me wonder if there was something better.

drgs: If I understand correctly, a dealer has an auction on Saturdays of fish he receives on Thursday ... and this dealer had an outbreak of KHV? It may indeed be a miserable summer in the UK.

Very sad, all of it.

It certainly gives reason not to take in any fish without thorough inquiries into the source. I would not want any fish from that dealer, even if they went through a thorough quarantine. I would be supporting irresponsible behavior.

yes mike that is rock solid truth. i have never used him but many did.

however he is not my main concern a private koi keeper has told me they have lost koi to confirmed KHV this month having not bought fish for 2 mth's but having sold 8 koi in may. they have told next to no one inc the buyers of their koi .

they intend to nurse the remainder until nature has its way. that is way I say are we all oplaying with ALL our cards on the table ? as these koi keepers are the last people you would expect this behaviour from.

steve

PS its our national show this w/end !!!

I saw the precautions taken at the BKKS National last year. I understand further efforts this year. A very good group of people with good sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast