Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Pond or Big waste of time and money?

If you had the room and the bucks for 50,000, then you might want to consider two 20,000 (male and female) and two 5,000 for tosai and quarantine. More versatile.

-steve

Daihonmei
    bekko,

ahhh NOPE?!

cuz the walls are more expensice than the foundation...and the amount of maintenance practically doubles when the number of ponds double. and the filtration and pump units cost a bit more but not near TWICE...or four or five times in your use of the space.
    Plus I am going to stock it so low that if the filters can't be run for a few days after a hurricane (like the three we had last year) the fish won't die. (then again a friend wants me to allow him to put in a huge natural gas generator.....?)
    I already have a little 3500gallon QT (males), and a couple of 10ftx 10ftx 6ft floating net cages that they use in marine aquaculture ( I plan on trying them out as holding tanks for koi going to shows.).
    And besides I want the dang thing to LOOK like a garden Pond, not some backyard breeder's Koi cookers.

Daihonmei
    bekko,
    three years a go I had a long conversation with brett Rowley about what i should build, At the time I was leaning to two ponds of about 15,000 gallons (approx. 10x20x6), parallel, seperated by a ten foot section of grass.
    But that evolved into this.

Been a fun thread to watch!

Here's my take on the bigger ponds. They're easier to maintain. If we were graphting a chart that showed different water parameters, the ups and downs would be less dramatic hills and valleys. This translates into happier koi.

The downside of course is the expense to build as well as maintain. Keeping a 1000 gallons per koi is a fine rule of thumb to give maximum opportunity for the koi to develop properly.

I, like steve; have my thoughts on having just one big pond. I hope you will have a several thousand QT tank at least. One because you need to take responsibility to insure your pond's safety and second if you keep some tosai in their to grow ( to keep the filters going ) you'll be able to have the joy of watching the little guys change. Over the last decade i have concentrated on
    bigger koi, and i have missed that part of the hobby.

let us know what you decide. (try and pretend there is no Murphy's law ) I forget what they call in the UK (sodd's or something like that ) but bottom line is that your experience changes reason and not all reason is the same during a lifetime! (LOL)

Tosai

Pond Size

Over the past ten years, I have relocated twice with job transfers. My last pond dig was about 20K gallons. I wanted to have plenty of room for my group to roam and cruise. I have about 24 koi and the stocking level is about where I want it. Frankly, it is too big and if I had to do it again, I would have about 10K gallons. Easier to round them up for a show! It is difficult even with a seine net to get the smaller sized gals up and in the transport tank.

David

Luke: I think people automatically assume that bigger is better without thinking about what they most enjoy. If you want to grow several jumbos, then you will want a big pond. But, like Dick points out, if watching tosai develop is what really excites you, a 50,000 gal. pond is going to make it tough to see much. If you want both and only want one pond, then something has to be compromised. Sometimes the hardest part is truly knowing what you want.

Daihonmei
    well the "little" 3500 gallon QT will have it's place, and I am also thinking of a little 7000 gallon "side pond"....and another freeform 2500 gallon pond.

PLEASE DO NOT TELL THE WOMAN THAT THINKS SHE IS MARRIED TO ME ABOUT ANY OF THEM...all though she absolutelly is thrilled with the 46,000 gallon lake right now.

I am fixing to start on a 54,000 gallon Sea World type installation next to my house. If I put all my pumps and filters on that one pond I can circ. 60,000 gallons evey 4 hours. That ought to do it. The thing will be 20 feet wide and 8 feet deep so I can "sane" them up. But really, I need a separate ocean just like it for the Bouys.

Melissa,
    Wish you would have started your medical career here in the pacific northwest. What i';d give to have a neigbor like you!

Ah heck. We could raise nothing but Nine Cloud Changing Dragons, tell people they were baby killer whales and charge admission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast