Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big Pond or Big waste of time and money?

Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    Hey Joe,
    I heard that other guy in Evergreen is having trouble finishing his Pond but as soon as he learns how to post photos, he'll show you the progress. In the meantime, all you gotta do is drop by!
    OK get the guys together and lets watch NBA finals! and then look at yer pond. Who's buying dinner?

Jumbo
    hasn't that start already ?

My current pond system is 20,000 gallons. Main pool is 15,000. I am planning a remodel of this main pool. It will probably happen spring 2006.

Fixing all the misakes I made 10 years ago when I origionally built the pond. Origional liner was 30x50. Pond was 25x45 and 6' deep. Very shallow slope all the way to the bottom. Does not make for good waste removal, even with the retro-fitted drains.

Now, in order to change this and still be in the same footprint, I have to change the angle of the sides, go deeper on the sides and deeper in the middle. This requires bigger liner and will increase my volume. See diagram.

Probably will go with a 50x70 liner. Pond volume will increase to around 40,000 gallons.

Large ponds are definetly easier to care for. Major downside is any kind of medication is going to cost you big time. Wanna salt to .3%.... Get out 600 pounds of salt. Salt isn't expensive, but other medications.... OUCH.

The turnover rate is also problematic. Luke and I have been seriously looking for a low amp pump that can move some serious water. Using it for gravity flow only between the settling chambers, gravity flow filter, and right back to the pond. A filter setup Just like what you would typically see in any Japanese Greenhouse tanks. Other pumps can be used for running water features.

If the power goes out on my pond, no problem. O2 and filtration are acceptable for days, take the same amount of koi and put them in a 5,000 gallon pond and you'll have a problem quick. My bio-filter is probably smaller, than most people have in their 5,000 gallons ponds. Ive got all that extra surface area and volume. .25 ammonia in 5,000 gallons is only .0625 in 20,000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Pond or Big waste of time and money?-pondnew.jpg  

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by gregbickal
    The turnover rate is also problematic. Luke and I have been seriously looking for a low amp pump that can move some serious water. Using it for gravity flow only between the settling chambers, gravity flow filter, and right back to the pond. A filter setup Just like what you would typically see in any Japanese Greenhouse tanks. Other pumps can be used for running water features.
    gregbickel,

Can you get the Sequence range of pumps in the USA? As these are the lowest wattage pumps i know of.

Think they do 6000lph - 15,000lph + mabe more. I know the 6000 is only 85watts of power.

Regards,

Greg.

Yes, I am familiar with Sequence pumps. I have 3 of them. What Sequence pump only uses 85 watts ? The smallest Sequence pump is the Sequence 750, and its rated 3600gph at 160 watts (22.5gallons per watt).

The ice-eater pump that Luke discovered moves 20,000gph for 156 watts (128gallons per watt). Put into practicle 0 head recirculation application, that pump might only move half of that water, but still thats a ton.

I think a goal to aim for is a pump that can move 30-50 gallons per watt and be designed for recirculation only. It seems propeller style pumps are the best at doing this.

Also as a side note to sequence pumps, I talked to a representative from Multi-duty manufacturing back in January and he said this...
    Hello this is a technical question about impellers and performance. In a situation where the pump is only used in recirculation (0' head). Would it be possible to replace the impeller on a 5000SEQ22 with the impeller from a 5800SEQ23 ? Would this cause the motor to overheat ? If the motor can use this impeller, any idea on what the flow rate might be ?
    Thanks
    Greg
    Dear Greg,

Yes those two impellers are interchangeable. If you put the 5800 impeller on the 5200, the flow rate for the 5800 will be received. This not overheat that particular motor. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Nisai
    gregbickel,

Here in the Uk the 750 (Now called 10,000) is the second pump in the range and is rated at 95watts for 2200gph.

The Sequence 6000 is the 85 watts model, this is the entry level Sequence model.

try this link for sequensce pumps in the UK,

http://www.richdon-koi.com/shop/inde...f2d1bd171affd8

Hope this helps,

Hey Joe,
    I heard that other guy in Evergreen is having trouble finishing his Pond but as soon as he learns how to post photos, he'll show you the progress. In the meantime, all you gotta do is drop by!

You know a lot of people on this board know how to post pictures. If you ask nice enough someone might post them for you.

Let me think, if I go to the Camellia Koi Show I might be close enough to this new pond to see it. Do you know if this person would open his or her doors for me to see it?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    You know a lot of people on this board know how to post pictures. If you ask nice enough someone might post them for you.

Let me think, if I go to the Camellia Koi Show I might be close enough to this new pond to see it. Do you know if this person would open his or her doors for me to see it?

Tom
    Tom, you need to ask LOL.. of course. But! Camellia show is is 2 hours north of this great lake....

Joe

Sequence is good and I'm proud to run a few. However, the Sweetwater high-effiicency pump and some of William Lim's pumps claim to be a tiny bit more efficient.

-steve hopkins

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234