Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Pond or Big waste of time and money?

Big Pond or Big waste of time and money?

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on this...Well since I know people always want to build the biggest pond they can, but how big is big? Some say 10,000gals is fine, but the advertising that Keirin Koi in one of the magazines has a hobbyist building a 50,000gal pond.

Now what purpose would you have a pond of this size for? 50,000gals is alot, and to stock what in it? To me 9,000 to 10,000gals is fine.

Depends on your goals, what you want it to look like, and your pocketbook. If one goal is to have thirty, 30" females in great shape and to improve them, well then, I don't think that 10,000 (gallons or $) will do it.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler
    Depends on your goals, what you want it to look like, and your pocketbook. If one goal is to have thirty, 30" females in great shape and to improve them, well then, I don't think that 10,000 will do it.
    Excellent point. Pocket book has much to do with it. Many try to go big on the cheap and end up with serious issues.

Jumbo

Talking

Someon e in my town has a 55X25 pond, with depth upto 10 ft. No filter needed.

My gardener tried to expand his pond from 3000g to 6000g. per calculation error, measuring error and digging error, he ended up with a 18000g pond, he wife has been trying to kill him since. he does not have any high end kois. His highest end kois were Sakai Hiroshima sankes I gave him, with sign of hikui. He has a herb that keeps dropping leaves into the pond, and he said the hikui is now healed.

stan

LOL Stan!

Get me some of those herbs!

Mr, Tan, and what kinda tree is it? and have you seen your sakai fish?

Lets go check it out soon.... and maybe we can... ahem pick some Herbs

Joe

Jumbo
    I have one of those tree in my back yard. Justt don't want to dump the herbs into the pond. besides, my herb is still small. I am waiting to visit his kois. If that works, I will put a ton of fertelizer to push up my herb.

stan

Tony: It really is a question of what a person wants. Bigger is not necessarily better. With a 50,000 gal. pond, a person will not get a cozy feeling when sitting beside it. Catching a fish would be a major endeavor. So, it may not be for raising a dozen little ones you plan to weed out over 3 months. Like the idea of seeing all your fish at a glance when you walk by? ...never having to search to see if the one you don't see is acting peculiar? The bigger the pond, the less convenient a lot of things.

Daihonmei
    Ever feel like you are being talked about?

(Brian if this is troublesome to you I am sorry. I would have posted a pic of it here but am an idiot when dealing with most websites)

Here are the directions for a 46,000 gallon pond I have been building for 4+ years. I dug every shovelful out by hand. i collected 1400 of the 1500 cement blocks and all the rebar from construction sites. I had figured I would spend $3000, but then I was thinking in terms of a 10,000 gallon pond...well I decided to make it as big as I could as long as I didn't break the law, kill the big trees, or upset the wife (and since I increased the size I have increased the budget. I have right at 12,000USD in the structure at this time.)

The thread is located at:
    "Themudpond.com"
    Under the "pond construction" section
    The threads are titled "Lake Luke" and "Why 46,000 gallons?"

I am at opposite ends with MikeMc on having a "cozy" feeling with my koi. I think koi should have room to roam, and the best veiwing of them is when they cruise by every 5 minutes or so...then again, if I stand on the Island I can be within 20 feet of all the koi in the pond.

Once again, brian I hope I ain't upsetting you by Posting about another Website. that site is not a commercial one and is very different from this board.

Daihonmei
    Now what YOU would stock in that pond and what I will are 2 different things. I plan on 20 big koi..and some educational specimens.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast