Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Japanese way or The American/English way?

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Is your system bigger than the so-called 10% of the total water volume?
    Its more like 20% more.... My intention was to build the filter bigger. I still want to add to it with a (bakki shower working on it now) and maybe add another chamber with some K1 so it would be called a "hoppa" filter I guess. Japanese American

Joe

I was going to fill the guest room with J-Mat, but my wife got a restraining order against me!

Jumbo
    NO way. This pond in San mateo has pretty much no filter, small and shallow, and I met the largest kois I have seen in my life. yes, they are bigger than that chagoi in kevin's pond. The owners kid did a science project, comparing city water, the pond water and the creek water nearby, and it was almost garbage free. Here is the best part : the owner have done a handful of water change over the last 20 years. That beats the hell out of my pressure-bead filter (american way?), my settling stuff (Japanese way?).

stan

Since my "up bringing" in things koi is japanese, I tend to lean that way. But like feed or anything else I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket. that's the beauty of our hobby, lots to learn from cultures and concepts all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan
    NO way. This pond in San mateo has pretty much no filter, small and shallow, and I met the largest kois I have seen in my life. yes, they are bigger than that chagoi in kevin's pond. The owners kid did a science project, comparing city water, the pond water and the creek water nearby, and it was almost garbage free. Here is the best part : the owner have done a handful of water change over the last 20 years. That beats the hell out of my pressure-bead filter (american way?), my settling stuff (Japanese way?).

stan

The strange thing I have found out, in ponding and in life in general, is if you find something that works for you, stick with it, it may not be the "norm" or what everybody else recommends, but what it all boils down to is it works for you.

My next door neighbor, built his Koi pond 20 yrs. ago, it's probably about 800-900 gal. I would guess, and had 7-8 fish in the range of 14"-26" with 2 turtles as well, and has never done a water change, other than topping it off from evaporation, or cleaning the filter, his filter is close to the same size as his pond though, and is just a pea gravel bed filter.
    There's no airation, except for 4/ 1/4" copper tubes that trickle water in a little water feature, they barely disturb the surface of the water.

I know alot of people probably frown on the filter I use, but it incorporates alot in it, it has a micro-screen, which then has kind of a trickle tower type design where the water flows down through the sponges, to another chamber that you can fill with any media you want if you don't want to use the ???? Ummmm, the name slips me right now, but it's a form of rock??? I have yet to fill the chamber with anything other than what it came with.

It works for me so that's what I am sticking with, I am going to go to the largest size they make, just for kicks, and I know my fish will grow, and I am over stocked, and I'd rather have a little security knowing I have a larger filter than the manufacter recommends for my load on it.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    There are many opinons as to which filter system is better. The Japanese filter system is takes up alot of space. American/English filter system takes up less space and is alot more cheaper to construct. How many of you have one or the other or a combination of both?
    How about Chinese way? Just kidding -

My 1000gal biological filter has 20 japanese mats and connect to
    an Aqua Ultima II filter. The biological filter is designed as a waterfall,
    so it takes a lot of space, but it is good in my case as a waterfall.
    So my is a combo I guess -

American made and works great and not to big. About a 55 gallon filter for a 1300 gallon pond with big pump. 16x16x3 foot ddep pond.

Jumbo
    We american are very good at inventing stuff, we call it 'innovation'. We also have the biggest mouths in the world, we can talk anyone into eating horse s**t for breakfast. Another gift we have is the ability to lie when asked about our inventions. When our invention flops, that is not my problem, but my lawyer's.

I am not kidding, my wife loves 'new invention' stuff, and none of them has worked so far. I consider myself semi-inventor, and I hate american inventions.

stan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan
    We american are very good at inventing stuff, we call it 'innovation'. We also have the biggest mouths in the world, we can talk anyone into eating horse s**t for breakfast. Another gift we have is the ability to lie when asked about our inventions. When our invention flops, that is not my problem, but my lawyer's.

I am not kidding, my wife loves 'new invention' stuff, and none of them has worked so far. I consider myself semi-inventor, and I hate american inventions.

stan

Now..now, no American Bashing please Do not forget, "America, the land of opportunity"

I am a naturalized American citizen and I am damn proud to be an American. Some of my inventions/handiwork are still(I hope) used in supercomputers and military applications....

I think the heart of the Japanese approach is the mud pond and constant water flow in the koi pond, with large volume filtration systems. The Western approach (really, the British approach, borrowed elsewhere) focuses on technology, and the concept of a koi pond as a continually circulating toilet centered on the bottom drain. I think it ironic that the precious scarcity of land in Japan has not interfered with a concept that uses much space; while the luxury of large yards in the U.S. has not hindered us in adopting the compact systems of British origin. Much that we do not understand about perceptions of Nature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast