Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawning what do I do now!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipsar
    So it is day 3 and i think I can see a few black ones 2-3mm long, also can see what looks like a egg with a tail, these seem to be stuck to the bottom of the pond, the more I look the more I think I can see. So is this them?

Also if they have hatched when do I start putting food in.

Regards

Chris
    Any fertile eggs will be opaque in appearance with the dead ones being white. After 3 days you should be able to see 2 tiny black dots in the egg if you look closely at an opaque one, these are eyes. If you have tails sticking out then you will have fry before too long, this egg is in the process of hatching. Once they do hatch they will sink to the bottom or adhere to the sides of the tank or even the spawning brushes if you have them. They will live off their yolk sack for a couple of days and once this is used up they will swim up and fill their swim bladder with air and from then on will be free swimming, clearish white slivers of around 5-6mm in length. It is at this stage that they will need to be fed.

That's them.

Any greenish water around?

Thanks for that, thought it was them.

Mike I do have some green water, a 3 gallon bucket which has been around for a couple of weeks, I think I can see some water fleas and some other things on the surface. I also have a 50 gallon trough this water has been around for months. Is there anything in them I should look out for or our these no good.

Regards
    Chris

Chris: Lots of fry-eating culprits exist in this world. You'll never be 100% certain none are present. The things to watch out for (in my tropical fish experience) are hydra and dragonfly nymphs. If there are hydra in your container, you'll likely not be able to see them, but they will mostly be attached to the sides. So, siphoning out some green water (rather than pouring) reduces the risk. [If there are hydra in any numbers, then it means there must be lots of good food in that green water! ] Dragonfly nymphs are easily observed and removed once they are a half inch long. But they begin very small and can be easily overlooked. They tend to be on the bottom or in floating plants. So, once again, siphoning w/o letting the siphon hose touch bottom can greatly reduce the risk.

Some folks will say not to use the green water in the containers that have been sitting around out of concern of introducing some varmint. If the water is green (and particularly with some little crustaceans in it) I would take the risk simply because the hardest part of raising fry is getting the right sized foods to them as soon as they become free swimming. The little things are eating machines. If they have enough food, you will see them double in bulk on a nearly daily basis. But, they have no fat reserves. They need to eat continually. You can still use egg yolk emulsion or liquifry or powdered flake foods, but all of those have the risk of deteriorating water as they the uneaten food decomposes. The living foods in green water are not going to decompose, are continually available and are exactly the nutrient content fry are geared to consume. So, I'd put in as much green water as I could find so long as not known to be polluted with some evil metal or chemical. If you set up the dozen containers of water I suggested early on, then you can move them along by seeding them with some green water from your 3 gal bucket. If that trough is filled with green water, I think you are lucky fellow.

Something I enjoy is taking an algae covered stone out of a lilypond and placing it in with the fry. You will see them grazing on it constantly. Lots of good foods living on the algae filaments. (Not a substitute for proper feeding, but cute to watch.) Enjoy!

Thanks for that, when the fields are not being used I have a few troughs around with green water in them so will give it a go.

Regards
    Chris

Huh??? ...."when the fields are not being used" Livestock pastures, maybe?

Could of explained it better, I live on a farm, so when the horses are not using the field the water troughs will go green.

Now if you wish to no anything about breeding horse I am your man, breeding koi not clue as you might of spotted.

One day I hope to build a mud pond,but there does not seem enough hours in the day to get things done, maybe I will have one done for next year, fingercrossed.

Regards
    Chris

You may have a gold mine in the horse troughs. It would not hurt to check the ammonia first. If you had a piece of 500 micron mesh screen, you could pour the green water through that to remove any creatures which are too large for the fry to eat or are potential predators. You may find something close at a fabric store or perhaps a piece of fine mesh insect screen. Normal insect screen is about 1.1 mm = 1100 microns.

If you had a piece of 50 micron mesh screen, you could pour green water through it to collect and concentrate zooplankton which is about the right size for the fry to eat. A piece of shirt fabric might work.

They will probably be feeding a day or two after the egg-with-a-tail stage. You will know when they are ready to eat because they will be up and swimming around. Its a good idea to have food there ahead of time. There are photos in the 'early development' thread which ended 4/22/05.

-steve hopkins

Ditto everything Steve said! And, whatever gunk is caught when you sieve the water, put it back in the trough. If it is alive, it may well be the larger sized foods the fry will need after a few days. The nice thing about green water is that it can be fed with relatively low risk of hurting water quality.

Thought I would show you a photo of the new fry, there are loads of them, they are about a week old.

Regards

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spawning what do I do now!-fry.jpg  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast