Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Momotara Pond Design with Bakki Shower

You know one peson comes to my mind who pretty Much is replicating the bakki system in the UK.. I think he would know as he has studied the filters at Maeda's Greenhouses a lot. I think Maurice also would know a bunch about it..

Joe

Tosai
    The reason I started this thread is the word SIMPLE. When I watched the KOI Bito DVD, Mr. Maeda's word just struck me. When I reflect back on my few years of koi keeping experience, I had to agree with what he said.

Now what is simple, how to achieve a simple design.

I want to throw out a couple of things out that I consider SIMPLE.

bakki shower is simple. zero maintenance.

Shorter piping (relative to your situation), I would say make it as short as possible, is simple.

Please add whatever you think is simple.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    The No Bakki Shower guy... Stilll Waiting for mine to be built
    Patience Grasshopper!
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by charlieliu
    thanks
    Electrical outlets where you need them. Maybe difficult to achieve but cleaner, safer and less messy then extension cords with wire all over the place.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Here is a snapshot of the coral rubble TT media. This was before we rinsed off the sand, ironwood tree needles and other beach debris. You cannot see the yellow cosmic rays. However, I have noticed that if you take your shirt off and lay down on a beach with a lot of coral rubble mixed into the sand, you can feel the rays poking you in the back.

-steve

Steve,

Funny you should mention the poking, happened to me to, I am a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieliu

I want to throw out a couple of things out that I consider SIMPLE.

bakki shower is simple. zero maintenance.

Shorter piping (relative to your situation), I would say make it as short as possible, is simple.

thanks
    Zero maintenance? I'm a bit skeptical that this can happen in an average koi pond. Maybe in Maeda's 1500 tons pond, protected by the greenhouse and with low density of koi being feed with high quality food, and having the bakkis fed with large water flows, it will take some years before the system requires a maintenance cleaning.
    The thing is that in any given koi pond you will always have an input of detritus and debris being added to the water at a given rate. If decomposers don't break down all these matter at a rate that equals or exceeds the rate of production, the amount of undesired detritus and debris will always increase.
    It would be very interesting if hobbyists that are running their ponds with just bakki showers as the only filtration system could confirm that after say a whole growing season they can see trace of sediments accumulating in the bacteria house media.
    Diego
    Diego Jordano
    Cordoba, Spain
    A.E.K. web site http://www.elkoi.com
    pers. web site http://es.geocities.com/estanqueskois/

I run a 3-tier Bakki shower, from a 3" side wall drain. It was an add on to the existing filtration and the pond is outside. So bit of a cheat really, as not direct from a bottom drain.

In March I took the top off of the the Poly carb box that surrounds it, first time I'd looked at it since October. I'd had blanket weed in the pond and there was an accumulation of it blocking some holes in the spray bar and lumps of it in the top tier of media. Shower output hadn't decreased though, the other holes were big enough to cope.

Removed spray bar, cleaned it, removed lumps of BW, re-attached spray bar and turned on pump. Now I know this is from a side drain, but I do like 6-monthly maintenance! No sign of any detritus and the lower 2-tiers looked sparking clean.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

My Bakki is outdoors. To prevent leaves etc getting into it, a loose cover of ground cloth is attached to the fence behind it and draped over. No leaves fall in and air movement is not impeded.

Hi estranque koi

i see you have many doubts about the bakki system. i think that you will find that all the issues you have doubts on have been covered in older threads like whether you need a settlement chamber, problems with leaves and blanket weeds. DOCs, reduction in nitrates, does the pores clog etc. I guess zero maintenance is an exaggeration, most people would probably have to clean their bakki showers once a year in an outdoor system where there are possibility of leaves and debri. But if the pond was actually enclosed i would say its pretty close to zero maintenance. It definitely reduces maintenance time even compared to the nexus eazy No sludge means no need to clean.

here is a picture of bacteria house that was ln the very top layer exposed to sunlight. This is a birds eye view

here is a side view

here is a view of the bottom

here is a view of the same piece cracked in half you will see the darker liquid in the centre where the waste is drawn in and being broken down by the bacteria towards the bottom it is clean as the water exits.

I think you will find a lot of information on yumekoi.com and tewakoi.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast