Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Momotara Pond Design with Bakki Shower

Thank you Bob, Mike and Tewa for your input. I can see that maintenance work can be greatly reduced with the bakki shower.
    As soon as I can i'll try to search for and read those old threads about this subject. I have recently read the articles available in Tewa's web page (excellent stuff, thanks for sharing).

Just one question, how compares water flow and electricity consupmption required by a Bakki shower system and a Sieve (i.e. ultrasieve) + Ultrabead system? Could you compare the balance filtration efficiency-cost (buying, maintenance) of these two alternative systems?
    Diego

Don't know. Entirely different sorts of filtration. I do not consider a shower system (whether Bakki or homemade) sufficient by itself in an outdoor pond. Mine gets some pre-filtering by being run off a skimmer that has a mat in it. So, no leaves or larger glarf gets to the showers.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    I run 5 Bakki Showered ponds at the moment with 11 more planned.
    I'm not stupid!
    But unless you have run one, you will always be a sceptic.

I was!!
    Maurice.

Fry
    hi

i run a 5000gal pond with bakki showers.i have 3x3"b/drains run straight to the showers,i pull around 3000gph through each drain,2 of the drains go to a double width shower with 120kg of BHM.the other goes to a single width shower containing 60kg of BHM.works for me.
    the showers are in closed inside a filter house so the cooling effect is minimal,i intend installing a small bathroom style extractor fan vented to the outside to ventilate the enclosure.
    before i built the current pond i ran a small 2000gal pond with the single bakki shower as the only filtration for around a year,when i broke down the single unit from the old pond to install it on the current pond i was expecting to find alot of muck etc in the shower unit,the only thing i found was blanket weed and a few leaves in the top tray,the rest of the media was clean.
    be skeptical i was also, but through my experiences i have found it to be the best filtration system i have run to date,my koi look great and the maintenance is minimal.
    cheers Dave.

Diego,

Bakki showers and other trickle towers do not generate any back-pressure like a sieve or bead filter does. It is a wide-open flow. However, they usually stand pretty high (a meter or two above the pond surface) so you have the pumping head to contend with. The pumping head to a bakki shower will be several psi (0.1 kg/cm2) while the back pressure on a sieve or bead filter may be 10 psi (0.7 kg/cms). Depending on the pump design, this can increase electrical costs by 10 to 20%.

Open submerged media like Kaldness and j-mat do not generate back pressure and have a low profile (low pumping head). However, they also require supplemental aeration via an air pump and this supplemental aeration has an electrical cost.

-steve hopkins

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234