Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kohak, Sanke or Showa

I think it's Showa as 1 choice, and then Kohaku as 2nd, and Sanke as my 3rd. I think it's hard for me to know what I'm going to get out of a young Showa, that's why I like them as #1. I only have one showa at this time in my pond. Just something about a clean Kohaku does something for me. I think I have more Kohaku's in my pond then any other type of koi. Sanke's, I like them a lot also, the down side to Sanke's is they are so hard to find in my price range. Over all I like Kevin's Chagoi, it's a simple super clean big koi. :0)

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Mike & I talk about this at home alot. Each of the three create a different type of feeling for me as I spend time watching them.

Showa: they draw your eye first, with their boldness. Black and red are very strong colors together and suggest aggressiveness and strength. I associate them with an Italian sports car: powerful, masculine (even female fish) and dramatic. There is an energy to them b/c of strong pattern.

Sanke: When sitting out by the pond for awhile, I usually end up watching the Sanke & Kohaku more than Showa. More peaceful patterns. Sanke is almost like a "shy" Kohaku, gentler in spirit with an artist's touch of sumi. I associate them with the old "bathtub" style Porsche from the early years: rounded, more subdued, yet still high quality and attractive.

Kohaku: Kohaku is so elegant, simply the diachotomy of red and white. The red is rich and luxurious velvet, while the shiroji is pure and glistening silk. There is the fine balance between only two colors and your eye can more easily appreciate the quality of their skin with less patterning. They are beautiful because you feel like the essence of the fish is laid bare without complication. They don't really remind me of any cars.

Definitely Sanke. I think they are much more difficult to produce than kohaku. Often great sanke are more expensive than excellent kohaku, but great kohaku are more readily availabel than excellent sanke. I try to get big collection on sanke from all diffirence breeders in tosai. Let me know

BNKOI is right in that Sanke is the hardest to produce, being that you cull out more bad Sankes than you get good. Breeders have to produce far more fry to get a small percent good to grow on as Nisai and Sansai...Showa is the next being that they are far more forgiving...I am in with BNKOI thou we are both collecting Sanke to further our knowledge...

My first love is Kohaku, and still is. Second is Showa, I love the challenge of development. Because nice Showa's do show very bold. Third for me is Shiro, for the same reason of Showa. It's like a car with a custom paint job in humble opinion. Then last is Sanke, I just haven't taken it in yet? But I can appreciate a good Sanke still, never the less.
    Check out this 13" Ogata Showa, hoping for development. Blurred pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kohak, Sanke or Showa-11-months-tategoi-003.jpg  

cocoyboy:
    Nice little showa, has lots of potential, Ogata does breed some very nice showa's. last year he had some beautiful gin rin showa's . Here is a pic of a 2 year old we bought from him last October.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoyboy
    My first love is Kohaku, and still is. Second is Showa, I love the challenge of development. Because nice Showa's do show very bold. Third for me is Shiro, for the same reason of Showa. It's like a car with a custom paint job in humble opinion. Then last is Sanke, I just haven't taken it in yet? But I can appreciate a good Sanke still, never the less.
    Check out this 13" Ogata Showa, hoping for development. Blurred pic!

Yup I saw that Showa when I was in Japan this spring.. Manabu has had some good showa this year for sure.

Joe

That is a very, very nice showa Nancy! Very clean lines, has it entered a show yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    cocoyboy:
    Nice little showa, has lots of potential, Ogata does breed some very nice showa's. last year he had some beautiful gin rin showa's . Here is a pic of a 2 year old we bought from him last October.

There were two tight Showa's. This one was more tategoi. That whole pod Tom picked up was nice. I agree, good showa's from him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Yup I saw that Showa when I was in Japan this spring.. Manabu has had some good showa this year for sure.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cocoyboy
    That is a very, very nice showa Nancy! Very clean lines, has it entered a show yet?
    Yes she was entered in Koi Kichi Show November of last year and won Best Young, The she was entered in the ZNA LA show and won best in size 4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast