Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New koi home from QT - yeah!!

Smile New koi home from QT - yeah!!

Well, we went and picked up the koi we bought from Champion Koi that had been in QT. So nice to get them into the pond. Didn't get a very good pic. of ginrin chagoi (he needs to fill out), but here is little 5 1/2" Isa Showa and 10" Asagi. Obviously, joking around about Showa being next BC.....I've got a long way to go before even thinking about showing any fish. He is quite the tiger, however, we'll see how he develops.

Thanks to Akinosan for helping me find Showa, and Brian at Champion for guiding us towards a very beautiful (IMHO) Asagi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New koi home from QT - yeah!!-asagi-shot.jpg   New koi home from QT - yeah!!-baby-showa-2.jpg   New koi home from QT - yeah!!-baby-showa-1.jpg  

Very nice if I may say. I want to see what they all look like in a year.

Any chance of seeing the pond they are going into?

Tom

Tom, my DIY pond resembles your "old pond" much more than your wonderful "new pond"

After several pondside chats (see blue chairs), I have finally made some progress with Mike. He bought a Momotaro tosai Sanke from Carl (Keirin Koi) and I keep telling him she won't be happy for long in the pond the way it is. He has finally agreed that we need to have the pond dug out deeper next year, expand the footprint, and have improved filtration system set up in the garage....if we decide to stay in this house. If we move, of course I am thinking more like small lake.....I don't need a big house!

Pic. with beagle dog is from last year. This year's pix the plantings are a bit sparser since a nasty hailstorm mangled the crap out of most everything in April - fish included .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New koi home from QT - yeah!!-pond-2004.jpg   New koi home from QT - yeah!!-pond-pic.jpg   New koi home from QT - yeah!!-pond-aerial.jpg  

Jen cool pick up, Ruben's eye is slowly coming along good. The Showa and the Asagi are very nice and I am sure Dick would fully agree with the pic. Didn't know your pond was that big..Shot it is bigger than mine...Well anyways, in this growing season keep us posted and I am sure Tom Lai from "Champion" would like to see progress too.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Jen cool pick up, Ruben's eye is slowly coming along good. The Showa and the Asagi are very nice and I am sure Dick would fully agree with the pic. Didn't know your pond was that big..Shot it is bigger than mine...Well anyways, in this growing season keep us posted and I am sure Tom Lai from "Champion" would like to see progress too.
    Nah, I used Barbie-doll chairs to make things look bigger. I will post on progress for feedback & advice on these guys & ugly Shiro. More knowledgeable people here can guide me - I am really wanting to learn all that I can.

J

Nice pond Jen looks good so far. Just keep the water quality up... Look like you have a settlement chamber under the round disc of wood.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Nice pond Jen looks good so far. Just keep the water quality up... Look like you have a settlement chamber under the round disc of wood.

Joe
    You are correct, fed by bottom drain. Also skimmer underneath the one flagstone sitting up kinda high. Biological media in top 1/2 of settling tank and in waterfall box. Waterfall box constructed of concrete block w/ liner so it is fairly deep. This was a total DIY project - does OK, but know alot more now than did then. Would like to redo with filtration system that can be backflushed, not constantly rinsed & vacuumed like I do now. Also NO $#%*&#(*& PLANT SHELVES daggone heron shelves.

What only two blue chairs? What happens if we come out for a visit with the Koi Unit? LOL

Great looking little pond.

OK I have to ask to see the ugly Shiro. You might be suprized and it's the best koi in the pond. I have a friend that had what he called a ugly Shiro. Now that it's older, it's the best koi in his pond. I even offered him $2,000 for it, I thought it was that nice. He said no on the $2,000. :0(

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    What only two blue chairs? What happens if we come out for a visit with the Koi Unit? LOL

Great looking little pond.

OK I have to ask to see the ugly Shiro. You might be suprized and it's the best koi in the pond. I have a friend that had what he called a ugly Shiro. Now that it's older, it's the best koi in his pond. I even offered him $2,000 for it, I thought it was that nice. He said no on the $2,000. :0(

Tom
    Tom - what makes you think you guys would be sitting down? I'll put you to work!

Nah, got more chairs hidden in garage. Certain family members come over and if we let them sit down they notice new fish in the pond and hit us up for $$$. We always carry on about paying "like $75" for our biggest fish....but I guess we are not very good actors.

Ugly Shiro can be seen about halfway down Aquitori's thread:

What do you think?

If you want to buy him for $2,000, I will hand deliver him along with big bag of special food to maintain his excellent color...HAHAHAHA. Actually I still have hope for the little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    Tom - what makes you think you guys would be sitting down? I'll put you to work!

Nah, got more chairs hidden in garage. Certain family members come over and if we let them sit down they notice new fish in the pond and hit us up for $$$. We always carry on about paying "like $75" for our biggest fish....but I guess we are not very good actors.

Ugly Shiro can be seen about halfway down Aquitori's thread:

What do you think?

If you want to buy him for $2,000, I will hand deliver him along with big bag of special food to maintain his excellent color...HAHAHAHA. Actually I still have hope for the little guy.
    Shot I'll take the Shiro, recondition it and sell it back to you snow white..For $2000 plus shipping...hahahahahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast