Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi flashing.

Nisai

Koi flashing.

Hi Everyone,

One koi flashed a few days ago. There are 5 koi in the pond. I add salt to .3% over 3 days(.1% per day) and then add Supaverm on the third day. Now all the koi are not eating. They were eating normal before the Supaverm. Is this a normal reaction to the Supaverm? First time use Supaverm. Water parameters are fine: 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite, 0 nitrate. 7.8 PH, and low KH(2 drops) and plenty of air.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

John

D@z
    Sansai
    Firstly, what are you adding salt and Supaverm for, what are you treating?

Edit: And no koi should not go off their food with the correct dose etc of supaverm. Unless your a goldfish I dont believe it has any side effects at all.

What was the dose rate you used on the Supraverm and how many gallons do you have in the pond you treated. Is the gallonage an exact number....did you use a water meter when filling initially?

Tategoi
    Superverm will cause intestinal difficulty if overdosed. There are even reports of problems when not well mixed and with old bottles of Superverm. In addition the dosage listed on some bottles is the British dose and the American dose is smaller. Complicated enough for ya?

On top of all that, while I understand the tendency to shoot first and ask questions later, you might be dealing with something besides flukes and that's why they're off their food.

Tosai
    Take a scraping of a koi and have it checked through microscope, then you will now what you are treating.

Nisai
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses.I don't have a microscope. The reason I use supaverm is to treat the Flukes(due to flashing). I did not use meter to measure the volume instead I use the salt method. It come to 1090 gals including filter. I follow the instruction on the bottle 1ml per 100 gal. It said it is more effective with .3% salt. I put 10 mls. The bottle said to shake it did not mentioned to mix with water or anything before add to the pond. I added it around the edge of the entire pond.The bottle was just purchased. I don't how long its been sitting on the dealer shelf. It look like thick milky color. Is it normal?

Quote Originally Posted by jjkon
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses.I don't have a microscope. The reason I use supaverm is to treat the Flukes(due to flashing). I did not use meter to measure the volume instead I use the salt method. It come to 1090 gals including filter. I follow the instruction on the bottle 1ml per 100 gal. It said it is more effective with .3% salt. I put 10 mls. The bottle said to shake it did not mentioned to mix with water or anything before add to the pond. I added it around the edge of the entire pond.The bottle was just purchased. I don't how long its been sitting on the dealer shelf. It look like thick milky color. Is it normal?

Thick Milky color is normal for superverm. The stuff is harssh and care needs to be taken when dosed in an estimated sized pond.

Many things can cause flashing from flukes to gill irritation even down to Ph flucs.

Need to diagnose properly then add the potion. If one koi flashes just once no big deal. If it repeats then you have cause for concern...

Joe

lots of good advice here! proud of you guys. Especialy bringing the attention to the difference in us and uk gallons and importance of metering water to the gallon. Spot on with age of product as well. Might suggest a partial water change routine for a day or two and see if you can bring about some interest
    in activity /food. thinking 20 % to 1/3 of declorinated replacement.

Red face

I always give a koi a rubbing on their belly when I hand-feed them

The only ones that won't let me do it is the kohakus
    The rest love it! Good for checking their undersides.

Temperature flunctuation could sometimes cause flashing too
    (especially when warming up) in my experience.
    If the flashing doesn't stop after a day or so, then you should start worrying (provided all water parameters are good).

Be observant and NEVER use any medicine or put anything into your pond unless you know EXACTLY the reason why you are doing so.
    Patience is one very valuable trait I've learned from this hobby.

Tategoi
    I would be lost without my microscope. I got one and learned to use it, and it was not as hard as I had feared.

I think a microscope is to koi keeping like a collar and leash are to dog ownership.

Good luck with your fishes, I hope they start eating again soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast