Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku

Sansai
    Trudging through my subscribed threads and came across this one, any chance of an update and some more photos Bob?

Dave,

I'm actually culling out again tomorrow, so will provide some updates of what is left. Slower growing than some of the guys on here, no mud ponds for me, just a large plastic tank.

Will get some pictures up over the weekend of what are kept. There are some interesting Utsuri/Showa's though.

Today I again culled out my fry, bred from Momotaro Shiro/Omosako Shiro. In reality though, this is a Showa spawning.

I had noticed some deformed gill plates, so wanted these out. Also most of the larger fry were all White, or with some Kohaku type of pattern, these again I wanted out.

Des came and helped me, along with my Daughter Daisy. Des's son Gregg has a fish tank in his bedroom, where all the fry I no longer wanted have now gone to.

I only kept the Shiro's, Showa's and a couple of Kohaku looking Koi just to see how they turned out. I had thousands of fry originally, now I'm down to 67.

I'm sure you can guess which pictures are showing the keepers and the culls. I've also got some Kohaku fry, bred from a Momotaro Sakurahime line female and 2 males from Seio and Eagle lines. Couple of pictures showing some tobies I moved out. These were eating the smaller fry, I could actually see it going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1421shoal-1.jpg   Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1427shoal-1.jpg   Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1428shoal-1.jpg   Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1432shoal-1.jpg   Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1439shoal-1.jpg  

Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1442shoal-1.jpg   Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1446shoal-1.jpg   Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1450shoal-1-2.jpg   Breeding update - Shiro's and Kohaku-dscn1420shoal-1.jpg  
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Hi Bob,

So what are you feeding them now they are getting a bit bigger?

Am feeding them on something called ZM400, 60% protien.

Also some small floating and sinking pellets.

I dont think they really get enough food, no live food in a plastic pond!

Bob: Now that you have the population down, you might try a visit to an aquarium shop carrying frozen food. Some frozen adult brine shrimp & bloodworms could be a real benefit at their size.

Thanks Mike.

I'm hoping now those big white ones are out of the way, these will grow better. I have used the frozen brine shrimp, must get some more. Quite cheap and you get a whole bundle in each cube.

Will try the bloodworm's as well.

I have been thinking about turning the UV off and letting the water go green. More natural food then perhaps????? But I wont see anything!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hart
    Thanks Mike.

I'm hoping now those big white ones are out of the way, these will grow better. I have used the frozen brine shrimp, must get some more. Quite cheap and you get a whole bundle in each cube.

Will try the bloodworm's as well.

I have been thinking about turning the UV off and letting the water go green. More natural food then perhaps????? But I wont see anything!
    I'd steer clear of green water in a tank situation. The Ph will rise in the afternoons to in excess of 10 and kill them. I made that mistake a few weeks ago.

How old are the fry now Bob?

[email protected],

The eggs started hatching on the 11th May, so 11-weeks old now.

Those will mud ponds, or small lakes, all seem to have green water and the Koi looks noticeably larger.

Daihonmei
    bob,
    the green water is not the food the fry will consume at this size (or when smaller). the fry were eating an established group of critters that were eating the green water and eating the critters that were eating the green water. And that takes time to establish and really can't be done in a small enclosure with fry there waiting for the first critter to show up.
    And the mud ponds can handle it cuz they have a more complex interaction....like mud thrown into the pH equation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast