Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is intermittent gulping for air really benign?

I am not sure if it is chlorine or ammonia burn. I never had problems with chlorine or ammonia since she went into my pond. It could be a sign of gill or swim bladder that she has to correct every time she gulps. It could also be just bad habit which could be harmless. I know of a hobbyist who has a showa that has the same problem for 3 years already and she's still fine and growing. Nevertheless, it does bother me and will do again FMG.

I have a koi that has begun gulping several times a day. Not a sansai. I acquired the koi as nisai in 2001. I wonder if age has something to do with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    I am not sure if it is chlorine or ammonia burn. I never had problems with chlorine or ammonia since she went into my pond. It could be a sign of gill or swim bladder that she has to correct every time she gulps. It could also be just bad habit which could be harmless. I know of a hobbyist who has a showa that has the same problem for 3 years already and she's still fine and growing. Nevertheless, it does bother me and will do again FMG.
    I have been reading up on the disinfection by-products of chlorine, as I became interested in the subject after MikeM shared about the effects of residual chlorine on another thread, on degassing columns. I wonder if DBPs (disinfection by-products) could be linked with swim bladder disorder in fish. Although humans and fish are not the same, there is a statement under the Health Effects section of DBPs in Wikipedia, which cites two references that link DBP to bladder cancer in humans. Don't flame me. I'm just looking at links and speculating with this theory. At any rate, I am already looking into adding sodium thiosulfate to chlorinated tap water before it gets added to the pond.

The sansai I mentioned 2 years ago which had gulping issues for more than 2 years is now 83 cm and 3 weeks ago developed full blown swim bladder problem staying at the bottom with ulcer at its bottom and raised scales on one side at least 10 scales.

After cleaning and treating ulcers and raised scales with PP paste, injecting antibiotics at 6cc 5x, the kohaku is much better. Ulcers gone. Gulping is gone. no more swim bladder issues. Eating and swimming normally. Will still observe if there will be a recurrence.
    coolwon likes this.

Glad to know she has responded well to treatment. Swimming well and eating again. That's a big relief!

What I did notice is that gulping is a strong indication of possible swim bladder issues in the future. The showa from a friend that I mentioned that had gulping issues eventually had swim bladder problems and died shortly after I posted here that the koi was fine despite gulping several times.

So the possibility exist that swim bladder can be caused by an internal bacteria that harms the koi's swim bladder.

Treatment by anti biotics does not necessarily work. In any case if there is no reoccurence then I would say the heavy dose of antibiotic worked. So far here I have heard also several techniques that worked for 3 other koi. But in many cases the treatment did not worked. I did loose 2 years ago a 83cm kohahu that developed swim bladder and later succumb to internal problems. Although before I was more conservative in the antibiotic treatment as compared now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12