Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Hard Beni

Sansai

Hard Beni

What a change this Koi has gone through in 3 months time. I am banking on a very nice Shiro Utsuri by the end of July

First Picture is of her when she was pulled from Stephen and Mary Height's Pond
    Second Picture was taken by Pamela Ann last week. Against the wise counsel of KeoKoi, I decided to take her home anyhow because something about this koi just "spoke" to me.

What is "Hard Beni" and how does one know what to look for when selecting a koi for long term care and enjoyment? In this case, I am pleased with what she is becoming. In the case of the little Torazo Showa I purchased in Orlando - well, let's just say I musta had my beer goggles on. That one is HISTORY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard Beni-cull-8.jpg   Hard Beni-koi.jpg  

CONGRATS! That's one beautiful shiro!

Hard beni is a general reference to a purplish red. That as opposed to the softer reddish orange favored by most Japanese hobbyists.

keep in mind that genetics, high water ph are factors that contribute toi the demise of our beloved red.

Pretty interesting transformation, how old is the Shiro/Showa? If the PH is high that usually means the beni is in danger of being lost...Hard beni is a term used to say the fish is finished and can't get any better. In this case if this Showa becomes a nice Shiro, cool....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C
    What a change this Koi has gone through in 3 months time. I am banking on a very nice Shiro Utsuri by the end of July

First Picture is of her when she was pulled from Stephen and Mary Height's Pond
    Second Picture was taken by Pamela Ann last week. Against the wise counsel of KeoKoi, I decided to take her home anyhow because something about this koi just "spoke" to me.

What is "Hard Beni" and how does one know what to look for when selecting a koi for long term care and enjoyment? In this case, I am pleased with what she is becoming. In the case of the little Torazo Showa I purchased in Orlando - well, let's just say I musta had my beer goggles on. That one is HISTORY
    Very interesting - nice shiro. Just wondering whether the hi will come back after leaving P. Ann's pond?

Wow thats a big change for the better! How about a top down shot like the first one to make it easier to compare?
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Also wanted to add, most Showa's at that size has been breed before....Where did the original owner get it? Either the Showa was hella old/breeder or poor water condition in original owners pond.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Also wanted to add, most Showa's at that size has been breed before....Where did the original owner get it? Either the Showa was hella old/breeder or poor water condition in original owners pond.
    Not sure of the age, but I believe this specific Koi was bought from Kevin Pham at Genki Koi as Stephen bought many of his original fish from Kevin but once again, I am not sure - Keo would most likely know, or I can ask Stephen

As for the water conditions being poor, I would highly doubt that. Anyone who has been to Stephen and Mary Height's place know that he has more than adequate filtration as Roark recently commented on. You can read his comments at: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21126

I would say that Roark is pretty respected in the community and knows his filtration, so I will let his words speak to the water condition. Additionally, Stephen is constantly monitoring the water parameters - more than anyone that I know.

So in the end, I guess it could be genetics, but it does not matter to me as I am pleased in what she is becoming - kinda like a Cinderella story ya know?

Not sure of the age, but I believe this specific Koi was bought from Kevin Pham at Genki Koi as Stephen bought many of his original fish from Kevin but once again, I am not sure - Keo would most likely know, or I can ask Stephen

As for the water conditions being poor, I would highly doubt that. Anyone who has been to Stephen and Mary Height's place know that he has more than adequate filtration as Roark recently commented on. You can read his comments at: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21126

I would say that Roark is pretty respected in the community and knows his filtration, so I will let his words speak to the water condition. Additionally, Stephen is constantly monitoring the water parameters - more than anyone that I know.

So in the end, I guess it could be genetics, but it does not matter to me as I am pleased in what she is becoming - kinda like a Cinderella story ya know?

Cool, I guess it's just like the saying goes.."Someone else's junk is someone else's tressure"....It seems to be doing well in your pond now, which is a good thing....

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth
    Wow thats a big change for the better! How about a top down shot like the first one to make it easier to compare?
    Jim, I will do that soon. This weekend possibly, but depends on this weather.

Jim, I will do that soon. This weekend possibly, but depends on this weather.
    Thanks Tim. Always love before and after shots.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club