Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about Springflo in a Bakki Shower

Tosai
    Hi Gene,

What about the trouble(or time value involved) of replacing lava, and cleaning it over the years?

I know it is very expensive, but considering the way it is made in Japan, the process that is involved, and the factory can make only a few tons a day, plus the real benefits I have experience so far, and the long term benefit for your precious koi, I would say it is worth it.

Of course, it is not in everyone's budget, but if you can, do test it out. I saw someone use a bucket with bacteria house and pump water directly over it. You can do two bucket with 10kg of bacteria house.

Daihonmei
    I had a tt with a plastic media which was only growing microbes on the surface. It worked sort of good.
    Not good enough.
    I replaced the plastic media with lava rock. it works great.

Just my own musings:
    Lava rock and BHM have spaces inwhich microbes and bacteria can colonize and form deep, complex, stable relationships. I think that the space within the media itself provide a significant area for the setting up of some symbiotic relationships that haven't been examined.
    I feel as though a peice of BHM or Lava rock becomes an organism unto itself, similar in cell association to jellyfish. Jelly fish have no central nervous system nor a transport system (circulatory system) yet somehow all the cells of a jellyfish share a successful kill. And the waste products created by internal cells are taken up and used by other cells or transported away as waste THROUGH OTHER CELLS.
    These bit of media may harbor cell colonies that form such alliances and are therefore solid living communities that act as complex organisms...the spaces within the media become entirely filled with biomass that filter feeds from the flowing water.
    And until i am shown how i am wrong that is what I feel is happening....the media provides the right spaces for these complex relationships to occur and remain. the entire space within and on the surface of a bit of BHM or Lava rock is a city of single cell organisms maintaining each other.

Tosai
    Luke, very well put indeed. It gives a great perspective why lava rock or BHM works so well in the bakki system.

Daihonmei
    Yeah charlie?
    well it is just the idle musings of koi keeper...I couldn't explain where all the poo was going to myself without figuring out how a media with less surface area was doing a better job.
    And as to the lava rock clogging; I don't see that as a negative unless it is beeing fed more pooh than it can handle.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieliu
    Hi Gene,

What about the trouble(or time value involved) of replacing lava, and cleaning it over the years?

I know it is very expensive, but considering the way it is made in Japan, the process that is involved, and the factory can make only a few tons a day, plus the real benefits I have experience so far, and the long term benefit for your precious koi, I would say it is worth it.

Of course, it is not in everyone's budget, but if you can, do test it out. I saw someone use a bucket with bacteria house and pump water directly over it. You can do two bucket with 10kg of bacteria house.
    Absolutely! I'd use the Bacteria House myself if I could afford it. I hate having to lift those trays of lava rock.

Thanks All,

I am convinced it would not work
    They do manufacture a ceramic media here that looks like syporex only bigger about 1 inch wide and two inches long with the hole in the middle. I assume it will work better than the Sprinflo but not as good as the Bacteria House media.
    I do have some in my current trickle tower and after two years it is still intact and have not eroded yet.
    I will see if I can get a picture of it.
    Just for curiosity sake how much BH media would my tower take?
    Four shelves each 6.5 feet long x 20 inches wide and 16 inches deep
    Maybe I can convince the bank manager for a second bond

Thanks again all,
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Hi jacovors

From the dimensions you have given your trays have about 400L of volume each. Each 10kg iss about 34 litres and this packed randomly. so for all 4 trays you would need around 47 boxes or 470kg which to me could do a 75 to 100ton pond as sole filtration. if you only filled it 2/3 rds of the way you would still need 31 boxes and if you only fillded halfway you in each tray you would need around 24 boxes

tewa

Thanks Tewa,

Just as I thought way out of my reach, the shipping cost would be about the same cost as the media.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12