Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about Springflo in a Bakki Shower

How about Springflo in a Bakki Shower

I had a friend build me a Bakki Shower of four trays each 2m long x .5m wide x .4m high.
    I cannot afford to fill it with Bacteria House media and was wondering how good Springflo would work. I am planning to pump 45 000l over it every hour.
    I am just planning to use it as additional filtration.
    Any thought would help.
    Last edited by jacovors; 07-20-2005 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Per SMG's expereiment, lava rock worked as well as Bacteria House. I think it important that the media be strong and have weight so that it can deal with the constant flow force and not float or shift in the trays. .... Personally, I got the Bacteria House rather than lava rock because I suspect there is a denitrification process within the BH similar to what occurs within live rock in a saltwater reef aquarium, and I did not think lava rock would perform that function.

Thanks Mike,

I agree with lava rock being better but it is not available here and I am not sure of the weight. I am installing the tower to see whether it will help with the degassing and adding extra oxygen to the water and also to increase the size of my biological filtration.
    I think the Springflo would help to break the water and help the degassing effect as well as trickle along the media for bio filtration.
    I am planning to pack it between two sieves to keep it in place and to make it more managable , about 1 foot deep.

Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Mike makes a good point. the heavy pounding would definetley affect the media and it's ability to perform.

I vote thumbs down on the springflow (in this situation. )

i got info back from a dealer i repect who used bioballs with his bakki and the initial report i got was that it was working. I since have learned that he switched over to BH and it actually works better, so that was a revelation to me.

my perception is that the BH material's design allows for both basic types of bacteria to co exist as they find their comfort zone within the material. meaning both aerobic and those who can do without the air.

when you pick up BH when dry it is very light. Wet it's heavy! It doesn't move one bit with a pretty heavy flow!

Tosai
    Lava rock is likely to clog after a period of time. I have read people cleaning or replacing lava rock.

Here's a picture of my pond with Bakki shower with bacterial house. Look at the green carpet algea on the bottom, it is on four sides of the wall as well. The water is crystal clear, yet healthy algea grows. It is an above ground pond about 3 feet high. You can see how clear the water is in the reflection of the healthy green. When I started the bakki in May, I got quite a lot of foam. Now there is no foam at all, just amazing.

The third picture was taken about two weeks after the pond was filled with water, you can clearly see the green reflection in it and you can also see some foam. All foams are cleared up after about two month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How about Springflo in a Bakki Shower-img_212011.jpg   How about Springflo in a Bakki Shower-img_211911.jpg   How about Springflo in a Bakki Shower-b71.jpg  

i LIKE THE PICS! Thanks....
    the big sanke looks interesting!

how much of the BH are you running? looks like you have a good load!

Nisai

Bakki shower

Hi all
    any of you folks tried coke as a media.
    Making my own bakki shower later this year.

Steve W

Tosai
    Lava rock will clog when used as a submerged media. When used as a trickle tower media it does very well, but will still clog eventually. When used in a Bakki Shower situation it actually erodes. It isn't nearly as hard as Bacteria House. I ran lava rock in a Bakki Shower type filter for three years and some of the softer pieces eroded down to pea size when I replaced it. I put new lava rock in half the trays and bio balls in the other half and ran it for another 3 years. Both cases preformed extremely well.

The ceramic used for Bacteria House is so hard I can't see it eroding anytime soon. It would be the longest lived choice for the high flow rates required for the Bakki Shower, but it would take 30 years for you to recoup the money that lava rock would cost replacing it every 2 years.

Bio Balls or another rigid plastic media would be the most cost effective media, but then you wouldn't have a Bakki Shower. You would have a shower tower and wouldn't get the same effect. There is something about the Bacteria House and lava rock the eliminates the waste. During the first three years I used the lava rock it was in a holding tank and I ran a lot of small koi through it with never a water quality issue. When I finally broke it down there wasn't enough debris in the bottom of the tank to even make the 1" of water that was left dingy. It was crystal clear.

I wouldn't even consider Springflo for that type filter. It would pack.

Jaco, you could use coral rock or coral rubble. It would erode over time, but would buffer the pH as it does so. You would also receive the healthy benefits of yellow cosmic rays.

-steve hopkins

Tosai
    Hi Dick,

Yes, it is a very, very heavy load. All the koi (about 80) reside in two ponds before I moved in March 05. Total two ponds are about 18000 gallon. Now they are all in this 1000 gallon pond. Don't ask me why, it is a long story because delay in building my main pond. So I have to build this small one just to hold the fish for now.

I have a four stack double wide bakki system with about 180kg of bacteria house. I see growth even in this short two month period with minimal feeding. When I first setup the system, I do not believe that it will work if you connect bakki directly to bottom drain. So I setup the bottom drain flow to a Spindex Votex settling tank, then pumped to bakki. I also put a black matala in the Spindex which I have to clean twice a week.

I also have a nexus added later on to be on the safe side with such a heavy load.

This 1000 gallon pond now has a diffuser bottom drain, a UV, a Spindex votex with black matala, bakki and a nexus 300. The nexus takes water from a pipe planned for a non-niche skimmer about two feet from the bottom.

A month ago, a friend came to visit me and said, why don't turn off the UV and see how it works. At first I was not willing to do it. But after a few days, I though I want to try it. I turn off the air pump to the diffuser, I took the matala out of the Spidex settling chamber, and I turned off the UV. I also took off a partial cover over the pond.

The water actual stayed clear even clearer than before, I cannot see any debris in the Spindex settling chamber, when I open the valve to flush the bottom, I do not see as much debris as before. So, my conclusion is that the bacteria house are really mature now and doing a great job taking care of waste.

Because my this, I changed my main pond design entirely. Orignially, I planned two sets of Nexus 300 with Answer 410, plus a set of Spindex, each takes water from dedicated bottom drain. (3 bottom drains) Now I am going with two sets of double wide 4 stack bakki with bacteria house connected directly to bottom drain. I will probably use one set of nexus for the third bottom drain for a period of time or bakki(still debating myself).

In my opinion, the bakki with bacteria house is as maintenance-free as you can get, all you need to do is change some water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast