Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who watches the pond while your on vacation?

I also have a few koi kichi friends ( or our kids) who check on the pond when we are gone. The only way to be safe, if you don't have a conmputer program to alert you to problems.. but even with that, then what?? Call a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi

Aquitori have a godo time in Missou! I'll try to keep Akinosan inline...

Joe
    Koi what the hell is koi? See Joe I already forgot HAHAHAHA...Yeah just goin to chill in a place hotter than Cali..St. Louis 100degrees....Damn!! But anyways, the things men will do to keep their lady happy...Yeah make sure you keep Akinosan in check HAHAHAHAHA....

recently the kids came home to check on the process of healing for their Mom and we talked about things. It became obvious that they missed going on vacation growing up cause I never wanted to be away from my babies for more than a day trip.

at the time, I had no close neighbors or koi kichi's close enough that i could leave my babies and not worry about them. at the time we had lots of eletrical
    outages and power would be out for days sometimes as long as 10 days!

I never realized what it meant to them till now so..... I think it's a great idea to have a koi club member you can trust as you do need to get away! Even today the closest person i would trust lives half an hr's drive away!

Talking

Hey Joe,

I didn't know you live in a VACATION AREA (lol)

That means my area is also one because it's only 40 minutes away !!!

Daihonmei
    well after just getting back from the BKKS (bragging)....
    while gone for 18 days a close friend of the wife's wanted to play at e beach so she came and House sat....
    I showed her the belt feeders and how to use them. and told her two scoops every day in the big pond, one in the small pond.... I had 60lb of food...about 10lbs should have been left when i got back...about 55lbs were left.
    The fish looked great.
    The next door neighbor works in waste water Mgmt....yeah not all of you are this lucky...he came over every other day and purged the filters and checked the pumps and did a water change......

Next year I may have my koi starve for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the Summer. They reallly do look better....might be that they spawned while Iwas away. they have a habit of doing that.

we have a small group of koi buddies here, when one of us on vacation,
    other will take care. One of my koi buddies living just one block from
    me, so normally, he help to take care for me including water change,
    feeding etc... during my vac.

I think it is very nice to have a small group of koi kichi living close by.
    Not only help out when you are on vacation, but can also help out
    when your koi is sick or any other reason.

I agree dinh.. Good to hve buddies who live close by. Me living near the Ocean not many koi kichi nearby or ones I trust. I have to say the other side to a vacation is My Bonsai... I have over 40 Bonsai plants that need attention as well.

You think koi take time... Try doing bonsai

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    I agree dinh.. Good to hve buddies who live close by. Me living near the Ocean not many koi kichi nearby or ones I trust. I have to say the other side to a vacation is My Bonsai... I have over 40 Bonsai plants that need attention as well.

You think koi take time... Try doing bonsai

Joe
    I really don't know how you can find time for koi plus 40 Bonsai plants
    while still working in the bay area? You must be single;-))

Believe me, I know how hard to take care of Bonsai. I started with Bonsai plants
    quite sometime back. I end up to kill all my Bonsai during oversea assigments
    for about 5 months. So, I gave up Bonsai and starting Koi......

I go for the belt and braces (suspenders) approach.

I belong to a virtual koi-club (Koichat.com) and a real one, SouthEast BKKS.

When I go on vacation the in-laws are imported for cat sitting and pond watching.

Food is rationed out and the in-laws believe that koi have to be starved every 3rd day. That's my way of ensuring they don't overfeed.

They have two telephone numbers.

One to a Koichat buddy who can assist if any problems arise with the pond and filters. He has a schematic of the pond and knows where the spares are. He can also call on the cyber community for help.

The other is to one of the club members who can deal with any health issues.

I believe that covers all the bases, but thankfully I have never had to put it to the test and that has included 3 trips to Mauii (attn Mike T - Oahu? Isn't that where that other airport is????)

rgds
    South East Koi Club

Tategoi
    Bern:

You picked the best Island, IMHO, to vacation on, although these days it's getting crowded but not as bad as Oahu...

Unfortunately the average home prices have just topped $625,000, so most Islanders are priced out of the market...

Yes you're right, Oahu is the other Island with an international airport along with the Island of Hawaii... Next time you get to the Islands give me a call, maybe you can do a day or two trip to Oahu and I'll show you around the Island and local ponds... Bekko, Steve H's, place is a sight to behold... If you wait a couple of years, a ferry may be in service then you can make the trip for $50 bucks.

Aloha! Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast