Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who watches the pond while your on vacation?

Question Who watches the pond while your on vacation?

What's everyone? Kinda bored and there's a full-moon out, what this has to do with koi dunno...Well anyways, I am goin on vacation for a week, I was wondering what some of you do while you are on vacation and your pond is left alone?

My neighbor watches over them, he's very "by the book". How much do I feed how often, he asks all the questions, and he knows who to call in a emergency. He has kept koi for 20yrs, so I am lucky to have someone to trust.

What precautions do you take before you leave for vacation...Because I leave my trust in my pops, so he knows if something goes wrong someone is goin to get pissed and someone is goin to get blamed.

Not many, I just do a water change, make sure the filter is clean and if I am gone for to long he'll do one, and clean the filter if need be, he knows my every step, as I am sure your pops does, but I trust myself, in regards to they have made ok for this long in my pond they should be able to survive without me being here. I did have a hicup a couple weeks ago, but I cought it and cleared the problem instantly, if I wouldn't have been here, there would have been trouble. And the main thing is I am never out of reach by phone, so I don't worry to much.

Vacation is to leave all your problems behind and forget about normal life as we know it, and hopefully you don't have to deal with any problems when you return
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Tategoi
    Everytime I mention vacation, my wife says "What about the Koi, what about Naosu (our cat)... which equates to NO VACATION... But then again we live in Hawaii, I'm retired, All the beaches are within an hour of our home, and with all the koi, who needs a vacation...

Aloha! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Everytime I mention vacation, my wife says "What about the Koi, what about Naosu (our cat)... which equates to NO VACATION... But then again we live in Hawaii, I'm retired, All the beaches are within an hour of our home, and with all the koi, who needs a vacation...

Aloha! Mike
    Damn, everyday is a vacation...lucky SOB!!

A very knowledgable koi keeper watches over mine while I am away (in fact he knows way more then I do). I even have live streaming video of them I can watch of them from any internet connection. With all that, bad things can still happen and have at my pond anyway.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    I have a set of written instructions that are left by the pump. They cover the Bead Filter operation, location of breaker boxes, where the spare pump and emergency submermisable pump are located, some things to watch out for, e.g. low water level in pond, bad/fishy smell from pond water, location of cloram-x if needed, and an updated list of koi keepers to call if anything unusual happens. The call list is confirmed each time we leave. Feed is pre-measured into baggies. If conditions are okay feeding will be reduced to once per day or stopped entirely. My mother-in-law does the daily feeding and she has watched us feed and is somewhat familiar with how the fish should behave when just swimming and when feeding.

I do not have flow alarms, so there is no one there to watch to make sure the pumps are working. The feeding visit is once per day so that could be a problem with a pump failure lasting for 24 hrs, but I just trust to Murphy taking a vacation the same time we are and that something of that nature will not happen.

Steve

I travel too much.. My neighbors know to cme check it out when I am gone. they dont feed they just look look at the big goldfish They also know if they have a power failure to come check mine out. I travel a lot so I kinda gamble on it. I so far keep a low stock so I am pretty good and also have a UPS on an air pump to buy me some time..

After all of that I am currently workign something out with Koiloco so when he goes on vacation I can check his pond out vice versa mine. For him I think its a good deal since I live in a Vacation Area.... LOL

But as the sayin goes. If something can go wrong it will. The gamble is there even when you are home....

Aquitori have a godo time in Missou! I'll try to keep Akinosan inline...

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Unhappy

Hey! I am online, I mean inline. I hate being in line! But seriously now, I told my wife there will be no more vacations. I figure if I keep spending all this money on the Koi, we can't afford a vacation anyway!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast