Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Sick Kohaku

Nisai

Sick Kohaku

Please help, I'd just introduce a 20" Kohaku to my pond 5 days ago, it is not doing well, swim around the pond a few laps and settle down at the bottom, 2 other smaller fish were introduce at the same time are doing well active and eating alots. on my Kohaku the white scale seem to have redness in them all of the white scale on the body seems to be highlighed by the red color . does anyne has this problem before? Water condition in my pond is excelent, PH is around 8, also this Kohaku came from a very shady pond where it was raised for the past 3 years since baby, my pond has full sun exposure from morning til night, can that be the problem?
    Any help is much appreciated
    Andrew

Andrew, you say it came from another pond. Did you Quarantine the koi.. This is definately stressed but from what is the answer.. Parasites I would think but a microscope would tell us more in detail.. Right now its a crap shoot if its Bacterial and or parasite.

I see you are in Nor Cal.. Where abouts???

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by andrewn15
    Please help, I'd just introduce a 20" Kohaku to my pond 5 days ago, it is not doing well, swim around the pond a few laps and settle down at the bottom, 2 other smaller fish were introduce at the same time are doing well active and eating alots. on my Kohaku the white scale seem to have redness in them all of the white scale on the body seems to be highlighed by the red color . does anyne has this problem before? Water condition in my pond is excelent, PH is around 8, also this Kohaku came from a very shady pond where it was raised for the past 3 years since baby, my pond has full sun exposure from morning til night, can that be the problem?
    Any help is much appreciated
    Andrew
    First, welcome on board - This is a great forum to learn and share the koi appreciation.

Would you please post a pic of your sick Kohaku?

No flashing? (Scratching against surfaces?) I have seen flukes create redness and lethargy without flashing, but usually there is some flashing. Ich could cause this behavior also, but rather unusual this time of year when water is warm. (What are your water temps?)

......I think you need to locate a Koi Health Advisor near you who can do a scraping and microscopic examination. The stress could be due to changes in water conditions from the pond it was in and the exposure to sun for the first time. If the pond is shallow, you might have "fish sunburn".

There are so many things it could be, you need to get hands-on help before things proceed too far for anyone to help.

BTW, Koi Health Advisors can be located through koi clubs in your area affiliated with AKCA. Check the AKCA website.

Nisai
    Thanks for the reply, I will try to post the close up picture as soon as I can, my pond is arund 5000 + gal, 4ft deep and it's going to be very hard to chase net the koi and base on the feed back it seem like the koi is over stress I don't want it to suffer more stress by neting the fish out, but any way I'll try to take the picture of the Kohaku this weekend. My pond can be view at www.9homepage.com

Thanks folks
    Happy koi keeping
    Andrew

Jumbo
    andrew,
    given that the kois has shown sign of sickness, I think you want to move very fast. You mentioned rdness all over, I think that is a sign of either costia, chilo or tricho, fluke is less likely but you never know. I think you want to have the following ready:

1 MG/F, like Quick Cure or ProformC, for general parasits
    2 prazi, fenbedazole, supeverm or the like for fluke
    3 Chlormain T, in case of bacteria gill infection

you may want to iodine, triple-anti biotic oinment ready in case you find ulcer.

If you truely have to wait for weekend to arrive, I will say dump MGF, at 25% overdose right away, everyday for 3-5 days, until the day you net the koi. You don't want to come in contact with the pond water within 24 hr of dosing.

stan