Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aloha from Japan

Aloha from Japan

Aloha from Japan

It is a scary thought that only 11 months ago, I first signed on to the Koi-Bito Forums, only to be overwhelmed and captivated by the wealth of knowledge, expertise, personalities and friendships developed locally and online throughout the world. The more I think about it, this new found hobby has opened my eyes to experiences, life opportunities and relationships that I never knew existed for me and my family. Without planting a seed, a tree cannot grow…Thanks to all of you for planting that seed.

OK, before I commit myself to keeping a journal of my experiences during my 3-5 year tour in Japan, I would like to know how many of you are interested in following me along in my journeys and lessons throughout Japan. Also let me know if you think this is not the place to do this or if not interested in my trials and tribulations. Right now everything is totally new to me …the exchange rates, the roads, the driving, public transportation, pedestrians, the local areas, the language, etc. etc. I will be honest, that “in the beginning” my experiences will not be focused on Nishikigoi, but more on my experiences with living in Japan. What I see (Photos), what I try, what I learned, etc. etc. Being part Japanese myself, I have committed myself to learn as much about Japan as I can during my stay here. I hope after about 2-3 months, I should be able to read hiragana & katakana symbols, and start working on my food and money vocabulary. It will be a loooooooong time before I will pickup conversation, but I think being able to read signs (place names), and recognize restaurant menus will be vital for my travels. I got to eat! Hahaha…The food is all awesome. The guys in my office are taking real good care of me. The izakiya’s in the area are all really good too. Beeru nome mas .

Where I work, there are Japanese who speak English well, in fact, one of my co-workers in the building has a home in Niigata. He lives in town closer to work (Kanagawa) and goes home to Niigata on the weekends. Hopefully, I will be able to make friends and get to learn some insider Niigata information.

Aloha All,

Carl

Akai San, very cool you are enjoying and getting around.. Pretty soon you will be Nihon Jin like Brian..

Hiragana, katakana C'mon by then you will know Kanji

Anyhow insider scoop on Niigata would be cool. Thing is Niigata is very big Prefecture as I understood it when I went there. I couldn't Believe..

Cool well anyhow I am still envious...

Sayonara and Mata ashita.. Well maybe...

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San
    Aloha from Japan

.....OK, before I commit myself to keeping a journal of my experiences during my 3-5 year tour in Japan, I would like to know how many of you are interested in following me along in my journeys and lessons throughout Japan. Also let me know if you think this is not the place to do this or if not interested in my trials and tribulations. .......

Aloha All,

Carl

Carl - personally, yes, I am interested. Would greatly enjoy reading your insights and observations - a vicarious travel experience!

Japan koi thought

A selfish koi thought:

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I CAN have my own nishikigoi in Japan. Going back to one of my earlier posts. Purchasing Sansai Gosanke and paying the annual fee to the breeder(s) to grow out is far cheaper than me keeping my own local pond. In fact, after doing the math for my pond systems design, it will cost me $400/month ($300 water & $100 elect.) no food or meds yet and that doesn’t include the cost for building my planned 12K gal. pond.

That would be $4800 per year systems bare costs, for three years, that equals $14K (bare costs). In Japan, that amounts to approximately 28 fishcare years, or 7 gosanke for 4 care years, or 9 gosanke for 3 care years. Or 4 gosanke for 3-4 care years with money to spend for better gosanke.

Does any of this seem reasonable to anybody?

Of course I won’t learn anything about caring for koi right away. But I will be able to watch the koi grow and change with the best care giver the koi can have (the breeder). It will also give me more reason to travel on up to Niigata area and maybe get my hands dirty helping the breeders with their maintenance program.

Does anyone know if for some reason the purchased koi dies or is lost in the breeders care. Is that the purchasers risk? Just a simple question. Any simple answer?

Tategoi
    Carl:

A journal w/pics would be cool.... Maybe you and Brian can get together and write a journal similar to Dalton Tanokaka's adventures in Japan while he worked for CNN Asia or a TV company like it...He wrote too books with proceeds going to some children's charities...

Unfortunately, he's not fairing well these days, just pleaded guilty to fed elections fraud, but that's another story...

RE: your buying and leaving koi at various breeders places that sounds like a great idea... Kenneth H does that now and has great insights and knowledge from the breeders, not to mention outstanding koi...

If you have any questions for the Horimotos, I'm sure Shirleen will answer them on this board or via private email...

Aloha! Mike

I want to read and see it all Akai.

It seems like there are several advantages to buying the koi and leaving them at the breeder's. You get to watch the progress of your fish - for better or for worse. You become a legitimate koi hobbyist. You have an excuse to visit the breeder. The relationship between breeder and paying customer will be different than the relationship between breeder and groupie/perpetual shopper.

Thanks,
    -steve hopkins

Carl,
    I think all of us would be interested in what you see and learn so that we could esperience it right along with you. Please continue to share.

On keeping koi in japan: Some things to consider, especially with niigata.
    grow ponds are few and very valuable with the destruction of so many in last year's earthquakes. If a koi outgrows it's pattern in 2-3 years and the breeder says you koi is finished where will you put it? an estimated better than half
    of the tosai production was lost this year because of the circumstances surrounded with the quakes. This will make the available koi abit more dearer ($$).

regarding losses of koi in the growers pond. It is understood that the grower will treat you koi with his very best skill. but if anything happens you are at your own risk. I know of many instances where a breeder has graciously replaced the lost of damaged koi but only because of his good heart not because he has to.

the only disappointment i ever had with gow out situation was i planned to grow my iggy showa 5 years and at the end of the 2nd year the breeder said it's coming home as the beni was stretched too fast and too hard and he could see it. He didn't say why just that it was coming home. A year later it was eveident why.

carl, i think you should experience the chance to grow a few fish there. economically it does make sense. Just let the breeder know what your thinking so he can help you pick a very fine koi that will be worth the time and space and that can survive that kind of growth.

Akai-san: Do keep a journal here. Developing a greater understanding of Japan adds to the Nishikigoi experience. .... So, what have you been doing?

Carl: have a question for you that your perfect to answer for.

lady at work's last name is Aki. She says it's hawaiin and means royalty.
    i say it's japanese but don't know what it means. Any help?
    thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast