sanke or showa

hi all
    would you say this is a sanke or showa
    http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL255/...4/50004921.jpg

regards
    lee

It is a Sanke

Hi Lee,

i would say Sanke as it looks a bit like one i have hopefully you will see in the pictures sorry for the quality

http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums...l_IMG_0084.JPG

http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums...rmal_Koi-1.jpg

Sanke. The Sumi on the head is somewhat of a distraction, but does not make it a Showa.

the pecs easily tell sanke

Daihonmei
    right now it is a sanke

Tosai
    hi all
    thanks for the replys
    yep to me it screams out sanke but not only do i have that sumi spot on the head but also sumi below the lateral line almost coming from underneth so are we still with the sanke or a well it has traits of both so its neither best thing is sell it
    regards
    lee

If you are thinking of selling it because the mis-placed Sumi would hurt its chances at a show, go speak with a certified judge about how significant these points are. If you are going to sell because these marks bother you when you look at the fish, then by all means sell it.

Consider also... 10 years ago, Masayoshi Nakayama (Ogawa Koi Farm) commented in an interview that in appreciating koi in a "good mark system, not a bad mark system", you should make yourself consider each demerit to actually be a meritorious characteristic. Thinking that way, does the factor involved still bother you? Does it really distract, or does it balance with another characteristic? (This, of course, from a breeder who wants to sell fish, but a point that underlies current judging philosophy I think.) In other words, do not assume a characteristic is negative based on "general rules", but truly examine it in the context of the total positive points of the fish. When you do that, perhaps it is still a demerit, but not a serious one? You are the owner, so you have to decide.

..... I like your Sanke. A classic Sanke pattern and strong appearance, except for the Sumi on the head. A stray Sumi spot or two below the lateral line would be of little or no consequence in my enjoyment of this Sanke. The Sumi on the head, if moved downward to the cheek would take on the appearance of a "beauty mark", and I could enjoy it for a long time. This particular marking by the eye? Does it enhance the impression? Does it detract? Or, in the total context, is it neutral? And, if it does detract, how significant is it?

Another point Nakayama made ... will the koi grow very large? A pattern distraction in a medium sized fish can become irrelevant or even a positive in a 32" koi. So much to consider when you have a koi that could be with you for 30 years. The best may be yet to come.