Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Skimmer /shower.

Tosai

Skimmer /shower.

Hi,
    At the minute i run a 3 tier bakki off my skimmer line(jap matt in basket) with only 1200 galls going over it.
    Now would it be worth me sending my main filtration returns over it also to up the flow over the shower.
    I do plan on putting a bigger pump on eventually but for now would this be a good idea,It would mean my pond would be being turned over once every 3 hours instead of once every 2 hours like it is now.Pond size 6000 galls,10 koi ranging from 12 -20 inch.
    Thanks.

I think you need more flow for the Bakki, but I personally like to turn over the entire pond volume every hour or less. So, by my way of thinking you would do better to increase total water movement by increasing the Bakki to 4,000-5,000 gallons per hour (if plumbed to handle the flow). So, keep saving your pennies for the larger pump. Meanwhile, I am torn by the choice you are giving. If the other filtration is solid quality, I'd stick with turning over the volume every 2 hours rather than dropping down to 3 hours.

Tosai
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply,Getting a pump aint a problem its the wattage usage that follows thats the concern,just trying to source a economical pump to run with high GPH.
    Thanks.

I don't know what you have available. Here, the Sequence and Wave pumps have a lot of happy owners. On my old pond I used a huge swimming pool-type pump that consumed a lot of power. For the new pond I'm using 4 Sequence pumps that combined move more than twice as much water per hour with less power consumption. The difference in theory will result in the new pumps paying for themselves in 50 years.

Sansai
    Going by the 'official' figures you need to put all 6000 gallons through the shower every hour and preferably 12000 gallons per hour for optimum effect. They reckon you could get some benefit from the shower with 50% or 3000 an hour but it will be minimal.

I would suggest that at the moment the shower is doing doing next to nothing with that flow to be brutally honest.

Tosai
    Hi Daz,

For my 6000 galls galls i would need 4 x 3 tier bakki showers to run it on shower only with a turnover of 9000 gph minimum going over the showers.
    This wattage is beyond my pocket hence the shower being a add on to my main filtration.
    Im led to believe Maurice is trialing some Red Devil pumps at the minute that turn over a good GPH for low wattage use.
    Thanks.

Sansai
    I would guess it depends on how your current setup is handling things then m8. If you have excellent water parameters and an acceptable level of clarity I'd be tempted to leave it as it is rather that disturb things and risk making it worse. Then once you find a suitable pump you can add that to the skmmer and up the flow without any risk.

The table below summarises the features of the models in the range.

Model
    (750)

(1/8 hp)

(1/6 hp)

(1/4 hp)

(1/4+ hp)
    Max flow (gph)
    Wattage
    Inlet
    1.5" fbsp
    1.5" fbsp
    1.5" fbsp
    1.5" fbsp
    1.5" fbsp
    1.5" fbsp
    Outlet

2" fbsp
    2" fbsp
    1.5" fbsp
    1.5"fbsp
    1.5" fbsp
    1.5" fbsp

I found that on internet that could interesting you; note that if you use two sequence 10000, you have a higher flow rate and you consume less electricity then if you take the 15000 unit, but you need a second skimmer ...
    Hope that the graph pass on the thread.

Are we allowed to put the complete adress of a commercial adress on a thread ?

Marco

Sorry, the first tabble didn't pass well, but I thinck it's possible to undertsand it

Marco