Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Aftermath and my 2 new Ginrin Sanke!!

Smile The Aftermath and my 2 new Ginrin Sanke!!

So...everything that could go wrong..Did!! All I have left from my pond tragedy is 1 koi and 2 shubunkins. Since it may have been KHV, they will never enter my pond again. I am not sure what fate holds for them. I have bleached my pond as directed by a koi health advisor. I have soaked my plants in potassium permanginate. I have refilled and added to air pumps. I have salted to .24%. I now have 2 quarantine tanks...500 gal and 100gal. I will quarantine for 3 weeks with a control fish (1 or 2 cheap koi). These are my first 2 koi to enter the new..sterile pond. Let me know what you think...Ginrin Sanke!! They are each about 4 inches. From Blackwater creek in Fla. My local koi guy..comets to koi (steve) Gave me a discount..he felt bad for me..screwing up and losing my fish!!! If your ever in Connecticut, check him out...nice stuff with great prices. He is also a koi health maniac..never had a problem with one of his ever. Anyway, thanks for all the help I was given on this board!!!

It's too bad that the best lessons learned are always the hardest. I'm glad your bad luck didn't sour you to continue on with the hobby. You get an attaboy for that and for establishing some Q tanks.

Right on!

I just hope others will learn from this. I can never believe those who i find that are so naieve about the problems and they go on like it won't happen to them.

there's a reason reality TV is so popular these days! Fun to watch but no reality koi pleeeeez!

Daihonmei
    Nothing like a bloody nose to teach you to duck....

PP-ing the plants works huh?

yeah the Blackwater Koi shouldn't have a chance at having KHV...Joe Pawlak has an understanding...a koi that goes off his property doesn't comeback..and NO KOI ARE WELCOME TO VISIT...
    Every do often I'd like joe's opinion of what he thinks of a Koi that I got from him...Pictures Only pictures....and I can drive to his house in 2 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    Nothing like a bloody nose to teach you to duck....

PP-ing the plants works huh?
    This is what they said I should do. They said to do it for 10 mins..I just made the water purple, submersed them completely, and left them for a full day. I also left them in chlorinated water for 1 week.

yeah the Blackwater Koi shouldn't have a chance at having KHV...Joe Pawlak has an understanding...a koi that goes off his property doesn't comeback..and NO KOI ARE WELCOME TO VISIT...
    Every do often I'd like joe's opinion of what he thinks of a Koi that I got from him...Pictures Only pictures....and I can drive to his house in 2 hrs.
    They have some good stuff...Steve Stone, here in Connecticut, keeps their policy. He only buys from 1 dealer...and nothing ever leaves and comes back, or visits..ever!! He also quarantines everything with proform c first. Most of their stuff seems to be Maruda or suda bloodline, so its good if you research their fish first. There is a lot to be said for healthy fish and piece of mind!!!! I have to say that I'm Jewish, but I will avoid Israeli koi like the plague from now on...LOL!!! I really believe this is what started it. That koi was kept in a greenhouse about 110 deg. So, even if it was quarantined there..the KHV never would have showed it ugly head until it was in my pond at 72 deg. Oh well....live and learn.

Luke, didn't Joe get hit with KHV a few years back?

Tom

Brutuscz -
    Glad to see you posting again - was wondering how things were going. So sorry that you lost so many fish! Glad to hear that you are "back on the horse" and continuing on with koi hobby. It's no fun to go through fish disasters, but you sure do learn alot that you don't forget. I tell myself that I would have had the problems I had anyway sooner or later b/c of gaps in my koikeeping knowledge....and sooner is better than later!

Look forward to seeing how your gin rin sankes develop.

looks like your on the right track.... One thing this hobby does is make you humble...

One thing I always tell people in this situation is. That its not a waste as long as you have learned from this mistake. The koi had a purpose. Just make sure the purpose is forever lasting....

Joe

Humble should be my new nickname. Every time I think I have a handle on my pond...something crazy happens. Last year I got lazy and didn't set up my scarecrow (water blaster for herons). Didn't see any herons, thought I was in the clear. Then....hey, where is my Sakai kohaku and shusui? Oh...dammit, that looks like bird poop on the ground!!! Gotta learn a lesson every year it seems. After 26yrs of fishkeeping, you figure I would know them all!!!

Daihonmei
    E tu Brutuscz?

I wonder if I have a by line on here that pretty much sums up your position....and one I find myself in too frequently

Daihonmei
    Nope it isn't there....
    "Experience is what you have left when the Koi die."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast