Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-West heat wave....

Mid-West heat wave....

I am here in Missouri and it is hot as hell!!!! 100 degrees and 100% humidity!!! What are you guys doin to keep your ponds cool?

a buddy of mine runs his well overnight to slowly cool it down before the sun heats it up again the next day. I'm not sure of what they do without a well.

Peeing in it.

Doing small partial water changes every day - but water out of tap is actually pretty warm right now as well. My pond gets a fair degree of shade, but still hovering around 82 degree water since air temp hot day & night. Be really glad when weather breaks.

I live in Santa Cruz. It was a very nice 75 degrees. I went to ride my bike to meet up with Bonsai master in Monterey.. My arms got burnt yikes!!! My pond is low 70's still. I aint gotta do nothing. But it sure is hot in San Jose... WHich keeps me away from the koi shops.. Peace!

Joe

It's round 103 here Sux!!!!!!!!!! Lots of swimming here Pond is staying round 78 now that I shaded a bit of it.

Wink

Mine is a perfect 75 degree today.

Spray bar is on. Air dome is on. Filter is cleaned.

Kois are racing in the pond

My pond is completely shaded with white tarp that allows about 35% sun passing through. I always debate whether
    i should take half of the tarp out so half of the pond can have full sun. Still thinking!!!

The postings around the net about the heat wave have once again brought home that warm climate koikeepers have to think differently than those in seasonal climates. It has been hot in Orlando, but except for tying a record high one day, it has been fairly normal.... mid & upper 90sF for highs, high humidity and lows in upper 70sF at night. Feels really good to step out to feed the fish at 7am and feel that 99% humidity and mild 78F "cool of the morning".

Pond temperature has been staying right at 84F the past few days. This is somewhat warmer than I used to get with my old pond when it was under heavy tree cover. The air under the trees was several degrees cooler than elsewhere. The shade cover over the pond does not have the cooling effect of tree cover, with all those leaves evaporating moisture into the air. But, I'm sure the water would be even warmer without the shade! I think the Bakki Shower and high level of aeration & circulation are contributing to the high water temperatures. And, I suspect the polyurea spray-on liner has an insulating effect, all combining to reduce the cooling effect of being 6' deep into soils that are a cool 78F just a couple of inches below the surface.

The koi do not care to eat at their usual 6:30pm dinner time. 7:30 or 8pm suits them better. They will not surface for floating food at 6pm. I've read postings about not feeding or giving only a nominal amount when water temperatures are above 80F or 82F. If I did that, I would be fasting my koi for months in the middle of the summer. It may be good advice where the koi are subjected to the heat for a few days only. Where the temps are so high for extended periods, I think the fish have to make adjustments, just like people. But, I don't think Hi development is much helped by these temperatures. ... their growth, however, does not cease.

I thought our pond would stay cooler than what it is with it being deep. Yesterday the temp in the pond was 86.4 degrees. I'm thinking about having a nice cover built over it.

Tom

mu outside ponmd hit 71 for a high so far this season. The air temp was 48 F this morning but expected to get into the upper 70's by afternoon! I have a figure 8 shaped pond and the upper half is shaded by a large laurel hedge. the koi spend the days in that section and then at night switch over to the other to catch the last rays of the setting sun.

Sansai
    I'm going to have to shade mine, 103 tomorrow, 105 expected wedsday. This past week mid-90s most of the time, pond peaks ~90. Depth does not seem to be a big deal, my little 18" goldfish preform with a small TT is about the same as my Koi pond, with a 3000+gph shower setup and 130 LPM of air pumps running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast