Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Japanaese

Nisai

Japanaese

I am thinking of learning Japanese to aid my Koi education if / when i visit Japan for a Koi harvest in the future hopefully.

As i have no real concept of wether the language used in the real world is what is taught i am after some advice.

Where is the best palce to go? Are the linguaphone style tapes any good?

OR,

Should i be looking into going to a night school?

I am based in the UK in Rugby.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    I am thinking of learning Japanese to aid my Koi education if / when i visit Japan for a Koi harvest in the future hopefully.

As i have no real concept of wether the language used in the real world is what is taught i am after some advice.

Where is the best palce to go? Are the linguaphone style tapes any good?

OR,

Should i be looking into going to a night school?
    Greg,

A very admirable pursuit. I started learning Japanese to enhance my koi vocabularly as well, and become committed to learning more. There's much more to learn than what you'll hear in the classroom, and especially on tapes. How you speak in Japanese depends a lot on who you're talking to, and not just the tone of voice you take. There is indeed much to learn.

On top of that, koi are indeed a very regional thing, so you have accents to contend with as well. Some of these are indiscerning to the native ear as well. There's one particular small breeder in Hiroshima who I still have a hard time understanding, even after knowing him for more than 6 years! That's how thick the accents can be out in the sticks sometimes. The more well-heeled breeders usually try and speak Hyo-jun-go (standard Japanese) to the foreigners that make the effort to use Japanese.

Keep in mind though that even most Japanese in the big cities are unaccustomed to hearing the accented pronunciation of non-native speakers, and even slightly mispronouncing a single vowel in a word can completely bring conversation to a screeching halt.

Don't let any of that discourage you though...you'd be surprised how a few words here or there can really make the difference. More people than not will certainly appreciate the effort, even if it comes in the form of unintended comic relief!
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

my opinion to do it right is to go to night school. Tapes seem to teach you
    phrases for travelers to get around with but you learn phrases that help only in specific situations. I have found with my kindergarten japanese that most repond favorably and will try hard to understand what you mean with broken phrases. Also the number of japanese that understand ( and reluctantly speak) english is quite amazing. When i was there a few decades back and teaching english, the students were very senitive and desireous of hearing an american speak english as opposed to their own japanese teacher. So I know your UK variety of the lanquage maybe a bit of a challenge as well. I think the hardest for me was to grasp the dozens of words to discribe beni when here in the U.S.
    We have 3-4. you lose the nuiance. It's a difficult language (for me) but i salute you for giving it a go! Good luck!

Sansai
    Greg, there is a large CD set you can buy thats suppost to be very good, I think they are usually ~$300 in stores, ~$180 on ebay. What my cousin used, he taught english in japan for a couple years. Difficult language to learn.

Greg, Much to learn like Brian says. Tapes are good classes are better. I am currently taking night classes. They help very much for sure. The way I feel is you gotta start basic anyhow. Its like being a young lad. You need to get the basics down then you can expand..

Tapes are good to listen to just like a movie you can pick up words and phrases. But a teacher I think is best.

Have fun with this I am for sure.. I have much more to learn and will continue on with the class as many times as I can tank.

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

I too would love to learn Japanese...but then again I would love to learn alot of languages...I think DeAnza has Japanese languages classes, got to look into that for night classes...

Jumbo
    japanese are very interesting breed of people. They like foreigner to talk to them in Japanese, But they don't like foreigner knowing what they talk bewteen themselves. So, learn Japanese, the moment you start dealing and wheeling in Japan, tell yourselves that you don't know japanese. If you hear anything you don't like, pretend that you have heard nothing, talk some junk to your hosts, and leave. (If you leave immediately, then they will figure out you know Japanese, and that is not good.)

stan