Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower

Bio Tube Ceramic Media for Bakki Shower

Hi All,
    Here are some pictures of the Bio Tube media I am planning to use in the Bakki Shower. Only clean water will enter the shower.
    It's also a ceramic media baked for 24 hours.
    1) Picture shows the size and what it looks like new.
    2) Picture two shows an old piece I have used for 4 years now. 2 Years Submersed and the last 2 years in my tricle tower.
    3) Same old piece, if you blow through the sides it does not seem blocked and the air goes through the sides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower-dsc03634.jpg   Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower-dsc03666.jpg   Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower-dsc03682.jpg  
    Last edited by jacovors; 07-29-2005 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Jaco: It is not as open as the Bacteria House, but the hole through the middle compensates a lot for that. Maeda is now selling BH with a hole through the cylinder. I think it would work, but cannot say if it would do as well or not. It has the weight and surface area. You'll want to keep it protected from sun so algae does not develop. That would block the pores, I think.

Thanks Mike,
    I am planning to cover it with 80% shade cloth to help reduce the noise somewhat.
    I will post some pictures on Monday to show how the installation went and what it looks like then.

reminds me very much of two media used back a few years to assist in nitrate filtration. sintered glass or siporax. For those who have the book, koi kichi check out page 60.

I'm sure the experiment will work. The trouble in the past with the similar material was in a few years it plugged but then this method will have a lot harder pounding water flow then the trickle used before. as they say in the broadcast news business...

"stay tuned"

Yes Dick,

It is the larger type, I just hope it works the new way.
    Will keep you updated.
    Thanks,

Tategoi
    Will be following with great interest!

Hi All,

I promise to keep you all updated on my findings and the differences I see in the first few weeks.
    I too believe the results can only be determined after e few months and seasons.

I found this type of filtration very interesting. I don't know how many of you are into the saltwater fish and reef hobby. One of the mainstay's of reef filtration is "live rock". This is really dead coral skeletons that have become extremely porous. It will harbor both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria for complete denitrification. This bacteria house media seems to work on a similar level. Has anyone tried "lava rock" to see if it had the same effect? It is possible to make an artificial "live rock". I have made about 50lbs of it and have been using in my reef tank for 2.5yrs. The web site to learn is www.garf.org and it is called argocrete. I am curious if anyone has tried something like this as a filter media for ponds. I also wonder the effect this saltwater sand based media would have on ph and hardness?

Brutuscz: There has been a great deal posted about the Bakki Showers and Bacteria House media. An experiment by SMG concluded that lava rock worked just as well. Long term use has not been studied. It is too new. If you use the "search" tool for this forum, you will come up with a great deal. One of the best threads on the subject on any board is one Dick Benbow began entitled "bakki tower". It will give you enough reading for a week, at least.

Hi All,

Well it was installed and running since Saturday 16h00.
    The piping will be changed later to make it more presentable since I had too much to do when changing the setup I had to get the plumming done quick.
    I am pumping about 6700 gallons now and are going to install a larger pump to get it to 10 000 gallons per hour.
    There are 600L of media in the four trays and the last tray has a sieve on the bottom to keep the media off the bottom to encourage better flow back to the pond.
    The current created by the shoot is amazing and the fish were caught off guard and could not understand why they could not as always stay with me at the edge of the pond to get hand fed. I am sure they will realize soon enough that if you want some treats you will have to swim for it.
    After 36 hours I can see only small islands of foam developing on the pond's surface, flow to the skimmer has changed and this will also be addressed later.
    The fish have increased in activity and I can see an improvement in the whites already....... more oxygen I presume. Pond at 55f now... Winter here

The pond is 8.5 feet deep and the algae on the sides are short and I am hoping it's colour will change to a more florecent green. Now it is a dark brownish green even though it gets more than enough sunshine.
    I guess I have to wait for Summer to see the real difference.

PS. I am going to cover the top and back to prevent algae growth on the media.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower-dsc03684.jpg   Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower-dsc03687.jpg   Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower-dsc03688.jpg   Bio Tube Media for Bakki Shower-dsc03690.jpg  
    Last edited by jacovors; 08-01-2005 at 04:35 AM. Reason: PS
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast