Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Never buy a koi that costs more than your?????

OK Luke, my by line sucks and is a bold-face lie. The point I was trying to make is that you need to know how to care for a fish, in good times and bad times, before you start buying expensive koi. An important part of that expertise is parasite diagnosis. We have seen a couple of people here lately who were fumbling the treatment because they were not equipped or prepared to do the diagnosis.

A funny thing is that the less you know about parasites and their diagnosis, the more you need to spend on a microscope. Someone with a lot of experience can probably find costia with a crappy high-school-grade scope. A better scope with all the bells and whistles is a much more effective tool and will allow someone with less experience to still make an accurate diagnosis.

Do you need a $10k scope before you buy a $10k fish? Probably not. However, before buying a $10k fish it would be wise to at least have a $1500 compound scope, a $1000 dissecting scope, and a disease seminar under your belt - maybe a $3,000 investment. On the other hand, with a $100 scope you are probably ill-prepared to care for a $100 koi.

My father and my grandfather were both 'Hoppy' in some circles. I had never been 'Hoppy' - until now.

-hoppy

Thumbs up

One thing I love about Koi lovers in this forum is that

we are not afraid to admit to anything and we don't try to BS. We say what we know and admit when it's wrong or mis-stated.

Kudo to Bekko.

Here is my line for koi and Stocks..

Never spend anything your not willinng to lose.

Make sense??
    I think I confused myself

Daihonmei
    Bekko,
    to the contrary, I thought your byline was quite stimulating. And since I know you have a very strong knowledge base I was trying to get you to tell us exactly what scope would do the best job...
    For instance I could spend a grand on a $100 'scope.
    I was hoping you'd get down and dirty and tell me all about the 'scope I need.

I cannot recommend a brand Luke. I bought mine second-hand and dirt cheap from a Baxter representative who was selling upgrades to some lab. He was a good enough friend that I just trusted that he was putting me on a good deal. The dissecting scope was almost new and the compound scope was/is an antique - but with good glass in it. This guy knew a bit about scopes and he said the only way to shop was to line up all the options together on a bench and look at the same slide under each of them. Supposedly, anyone can see the difference that way. Of course, if you are doing mail order that is not possible. Its all in the optics and every brand of scope can provide objective lens from several different manufacturers. My take was that you can probably ignore the brand/manufacturer of the frame and eyepieces and concentrate on getting objectives made by Zeiss, Leica, old American Optical equipment, etc.

-steve

I will never buy a koi that costs more than my dogs!!! I love my fish, but they are still pets...and compared to a dog, they are way down on the list!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12