Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aigoromo lost all colour... why?

Aigoromo lost all colour... why?

We've had Patch since 2001(I think), he was 6" when we got him and a total spook! He's now 19" and daddy to a few fry we have.

Anyway, to the point of this post.... Patch is no longer a goromo

1st pic Nov2004 2nd pic Aug05

We haven't a clue why but he's now a shiromugi He went into the outside 7000+gallon koi pond in May looking like pic#1 but actually better, the robing was cleaning up and the red looked like it was getting darker,.. we pulled him this week looking like pic#2.
    We were told Patch was from the breeder Sakai, came to the dealer through a broker, and at 6" he was probably the most expensive fish we ever purchased.

Anyone ever seen a goromo lose ALL it's colour in just a couple of weeks? Wasn't fun to watch....

Thanks for your time,
    Terri

Dramatic! The curious part is the loss of Sumi as well as the Hi. What were the parameters of the pond water?

Big change indeed in such a short period.. I know you guys know how to keep koi so this puzzles me. But that little guy sur had color up so young. Perhpas lots of Color enhancing food early on.... ????

Not saying that is it but such a change...

Joe

Hi Mike,
    Water Q is very good. pH sits at 8.0, KH is about 250ppm - at the time the colour loss was happening the temp was 75F day time. Our maintenance routine is daily or every two days on this pond, keeps the parameters very stable.

Late May/early June we had several spawnings happen in this pond. It's been suggested to us on another forum that this may have been a factor... if this turns out to be the case I really want to learn more.

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Hi Keo, how you been

No colour enhancing food since we've had him... but before I don't know. We feed primarily Hikari Wheatgerm all season and mix in higher protien pellets - along with treats of shrimp and fruit/veg.

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_&_Terri
    Hi Keo, how you been

No colour enhancing food since we've had him... but before I don't know. We feed primarily Hikari Wheatgerm all season and mix in higher protien pellets - along with treats of shrimp and fruit/veg.

Kind Regards,
    Terri

I am pretty much puzzled as you are.. am looking forward to more posts on this subject..

Unfortunatley it happens with no solid explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_&_Terri
    We've had Patch since 2001(I think), he was 6" when we got him and a total spook! He's now 19" and daddy to a few fry we have.

Anyway, to the point of this post.... Patch is no longer a goromo

1st pic Nov2004 2nd pic Aug05

We haven't a clue why but he's now a shiromugi He went into the outside 7000+gallon koi pond in May looking like pic#1 but actually better, the robing was cleaning up and the red looked like it was getting darker,.. we pulled him this week looking like pic#2.
    We were told Patch was from the breeder Sakai, came to the dealer through a broker, and at 6" he was probably the most expensive fish we ever purchased.

Anyone ever seen a goromo lose ALL it's colour in just a couple of weeks? Wasn't fun to watch....

Thanks for your time,
    Terri
    From the first pic the beni looks unstable. Which Sakai is it from?

aquitori, the broker who imports Japanese koi to the US states the breeder is Sakai of Hiroshima, the dealer who buys from this broker says the same. I do not know first hand if this is the breeder...? In retrospect I should not have mentioned it at all, my apologies. The broker's web site states that they import koi from several leading Japanese breeders but several years ago they were primarily dealing with Sakai of Hiroshima.

Lessoned learned, and still learning - what to look for when it comes to good beni. Childer's pointed something out on NI after JR's input and I have gone back to look at early photo's we have of Patch... let's just say my eyes are now open ... I have a clearer understanding of what to look for.
    Patch Nov 2005

Patch April 2002

If the beni was weak, I guess it was going to go at some point... just shocked it happened so quickly. At this point I'm under the assumption that there was a triggor to excellerate this.... since it wasn't a drastic pH shift would it have been the spawning?

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Tategoi
    Terri:

Just to set you mind at ease re: Yokozuna Pellets... Have been feeding our koi with this pellet since Dec of 04... no problems and just noticed that the beni on our Sanke and Kohaku have improved over that period...

Aloha! Mike

Well, if the fish did spawn then it could have been the stress...but to me the best way to see how consistant the beni will be is the beni on the head. The beni on the head doesn't have a defined edge, meaning it is blurred...That sign is also a good way of finding good tanchos too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast