Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R Show KOI like Athletes???? or ????

R Show KOI like Athletes???? or ????

Ok I went for a run this Morning

So for koi the condition is up we keep em clean healthy and in close to top shape. Then we target a show we want to enter and we plan out how we are gonna maximize the koi looks etc...

Same thing?

Thoughts???

Again Sharing my thoughts from my Morning...

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Ok I went for a run this Morning

So for koi the condition is up we keep em clean healthy and in close to top shape. Then we target a show we want to enter and we plan out how we are gonna maximize the koi looks etc...

Same thing?

Thoughts???

Again Sharing my thoughts from my Morning...

Joe

Usually want to pick the show when it is goin to nice chilly(not freezing), preferably a show out doors. Reason for a nice chilly show is the water is cooler and the fish will show better. Colors will be up and the overall apperance looks good.

It's all about conditioning the fish and I would have to say it is more like a beauty contest than a track meet...

HAHAH was trying to stay aay from the beauty contest thing but what I was getting at was there is a time period in which you have to work on the koi to bring out the most in it.. Whatever brew we use to pump up the koi last few weeks.

Or do all people jsut net em out of pond and toss em in a show tank???

Joe

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    HAHAH was trying to stay aay from the beauty contest thing but what I was getting at was there is a time period in which you have to work on the koi to bring out the most in it.. Whatever brew we use to pump up the koi last few weeks.

Or do all people jsut net em out of pond and toss em in a show tank???

Joe
    Yep, we just net a bunch and throw then in our transport tank and away we go... LOL
    We always change there diet weeks before a show increase water changes and a few other tricks..

I think your thoughts are valid. Athletes go on a training schedule that will have them peaking about the time of the event. The same is true with koi. My experience with most smaller shows is that the average keeper has no idea on how to accomplish this. Long range or short range. Because of convenience many shows are held during growth times for koi and make things more difficult for those who wish to show their koi than say the early spring or winter like in Japan.

After benching a small show this past weekend I saw many koi that were out of shape and undersized for their lengthclass because the owner had no clue about conditioning and putting a koi in a size class that it could excell in.

I would like to see some serious input on this topic and glad to see it brought forward. It's worthy for old timers to be reminded of things and for new folks to have the exposure and knowledge.

Tategoi
    Ray Jordan had this to say about koi show "strategy" on another board:

Another thread I read there were some posts about how often to show the same koi. Should you go to back to back shows with the same koi?

It is very important to not show your koi too often. There is some stress and sometimes a few bumps and dings are not uncommon when catching and transporting koi to a show. Also know that you should quarantine your koi for at least 4 weeks at 72-76 degree anytime they are moved so you can observe them and be sure they are in perfect shape before they go back into your pond.

I have learned the hard way and also seen too many high potential young koi taken to too frequently to shows and then because of a combination of stress and or minor dings end up with an infection and a scar or loss of color or just plain deteriorate.

So what is too often? I can't give you a one size fits all answer. If things go perfectly at one show and your koi come through without a hitch then maybe 2-3 months between shows would be adequate. If only a few minor issues that quickly resolve then I would wait a minimum of 4-6 months after things are back to normal. Personally I only show the same koi once a year. I have koi that I have owned for four year before going to a show. I can tell you that the best koi in Japan are not shown until they reach their peak even if it takes them 12 years.

Here is a suggestion. Say you want to go to two shows that are fairly close together. One is your nearby home show and another is several hours drive away. You have about six koi you want to show. There could be several strategies used. Take the smallest koi to the show farther away. Smaller koi handle the stress of transportation better and the larger koi to the nearby show.

Say you have several koi a similar size that would compete in the same size. Instead of having your own koi go head to head spilt them so that they go to different shows. Or say one is a inside show with poor lighting for reds. Take your shiro Utsuris and showas to the poorly lighted inside show and your Kohakus, metallics and Gin Rins to the outside show.

Or one show has sizes where your koi would be at the bottom of the size and another where they would be at the top of the size. Size matters take the koi that would be at the top of that size to that show. Or a show where there is a head judge that loves shiro utsuris take your shiros to that show.

Pay attention to the awards to be given. If there is not a tategoi award do not take high potential unfinished koi. If there is a most unusual award be sure to take your tancho beni Kumanryu or your Showa goromo there. If there is a male champion award and you have a knockout male koi - go for it.

Taking fewer koi is less stressful for your koi in a less crowded tank and for you. THen you will be able to take other koi to support and compete in another show. Plan whick koi go when to a show. It adds to the excitment and also the fun of preshow planning. In other words have a game plan."

I was really interested in this information, as I know of a number of hobbyists who take their same fish to three shows within a couple of months in the summer. Naturally by the 3rd show, they are really "down."
    ChrisC

lots of good input Chris on the stress and strategy of showing. Anyone got some input on preparation?

First thing I do is ask my fish.."Are you ready?" if they say no then no show...HAHAHA...With my Kohaku that went to ZNA I didn't show him for more than 2 years...I think the show represent more of koi husbandary than the fish itself. To see a fish do well from year to year like Nancy's fish have is a true example of koi husbandary.

With me in the off season I try to maintain the girth and Shiroji quality in the summer. Koi will grow and want to grow so in the summer months find a feeding regiment and stick to it.

During the show season, I stick with wheatgrem as the staple and a couple of months before the show to bring yup the beni. Starving the fish 1 to 2 weeks before the show wont kill them, but bring out the true quality of the fish once it hit the cold show tank....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

How much time is required to prepare koi for showing?

Daihonmei
    seems to me the comparison should be to Bodybuilding Contests...size, mass, shape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast