Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is considered an expensive koi?

Lets see now, the most I have ever spent is $$$, and I know I'm not in any position to spend $$$$. You've got to admit that the prices of Koi have increased dramaticly in the last couple of years, and I think its primarily because people are willing to pay for them. I can be very happy with fish under $500, but under other circumstances I would probably be happy to spend much more. To each his own bracket!

Tategoi
    Carl:

All things being equal, nice body, pattern, color etc, etc, etc, An expensive koi is the one we can't afford or don't want to spend anymore for...

For me that's 1k, my mentor, the lurker is at the 3-500 level... with my level of experience (actually inexperience) I should have a cap of $200...

Before I'd spend 20K for a koi, I'd buy the Kawai Kanjiro pot which is for sale on e-yakimono.net, and have a master piece that can be passed down for many generations to come...

Have a good time in Japan...Get into the different cultures, don't be a koi nerd and visit the various "antique" markets held jinja around the country on Sundays...Can find some cool koi carvings, scroll and Jizai's at inexpensive prices...

Aloha! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Carl:
    All things being equal, nice body, pattern, color etc, etc, etc, An expensive koi is the one we can't afford or don't want to spend anymore for...

For me that's 1k, my mentor, the lurker is at the 3-500 level... with my level of experience (actually inexperience) I should have a cap of $200...
    Aloha! Mike
    Who is your mentor? Thats always good to have. I was trying to work with BU, but as you know, I'm here for a little while now. I guess change of plans until I get back. I'm shocked at how many Japanese people DO NOT know about Nishikigoi.

Thanks for your response, it really does help me to put myself in perspective. For now, I think I would lurk in the 2K range, but Keeping koi in Japan is my real dilema. Will breeders even consider growing out a koi or that quality, even if I paid the annual fees. I'm sure there would come a time when breeder says koi "must go home". Then what? Send em to your house...Hahaha.

Talking about mentoring, my mentor is Akinosan and Keokoi...Both have the knowledge that I wish I had.....That knowledge is how to party after a major koi show...

Tategoi
    Carl:

My mentor is Nelson Wong, whose mentor is Kenneth Horimoto who also gives me a lot of tips... I scored the best showa in the last batch of Genki koi to be shipped to Hawaii thanks to Kenneth, and Joe who sent it here...
    Re: mud ponds etc... I'll check with Kenneth H...If I'm not mistaken he's left some there that he paid $3000 or less... He and Shir will be in Niigata sometime in October with Kevin of Genki... Maybe you can meet them there, Joe, Keokoi may also join them...

Aloha! Mike

Carl:

My mentor is Nelson Wong, whose mentor is Kenneth Horimoto who also gives me a lot of tips... I scored the best showa in the last batch of Genki koi to be shipped to Hawaii thanks to Kenneth, and Joe who sent it here...
    Re: mud ponds etc... I'll check with Kenneth H...If I'm not mistaken he's left some there that he paid $3000 or less... He and Shir will be in Niigata sometime in October with Kevin of Genki... Maybe you can meet them there, Joe, Keokoi may also join them...

Aloha! Mike
    Interesting, Bruce is flying up in October as well. I believe he will go to his regulars. Especially Sakai-san. Hey, good reason for me to escape in October, I better get ready for the trek. My family will just be arriving end of August, so I'm not sure if I can run away. Thanks.

Jumbo
    Mike, do not have the pic of the showa from Genki to share with us. Tony and I talked about the 'best showa', but somehow someone before we get to enjoy it for a litle longer. BTW, did you also get the 'best' maruyama kohak in the batch ?

stan

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan
    Mike, do not have the pic of the showa from Genki to share with us. Tony and I talked about the 'best showa', but somehow someone before we get to enjoy it for a litle longer. BTW, did you also get the 'best' maruyama kohak in the batch ?

stan
    Stan, Kenneth and Shirleen got the best Maruyama that came in....They are one of the coolest and most helpful couples on the planet. I can really say that Kohak is goin to a good home. Plus I wouldn't be surprise if that Kohak is 25" by next April....Soft water + year round feeding = amazing growth....

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Talking about mentoring, my mentor is Akinosan and Keokoi...Both have the knowledge that I wish I had.....That knowledge is how to party after a major koi show...
    Damnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

Aquitori's mentor is Charles Barkley.. He tells it the way he sees it..

BNKOI is my Mentor.. He is Bay Areas Best koi Wrangler...

Joe

Carl:

Aloha! Mike
    Mike, just got my ticket yesterday as Sista Shir, called me.. SO I am Set for October for sure..

Horimoto San is my Mentor... for growing koi...

MikeT, welcome for the showa.. Enjoy!

Joe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast