Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is considered an expensive koi?

What is considered an expensive koi?

O.K. loaded question for all you koi enthusiast. Would like to know what other people think is "expensive" koi.

And I don't want anybody reading too much into this one. I know you will all say it depends on the koi, its age, its size, female or male, etc. etc. and I AGREE with you 100%! And yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Along with paying too much for a bad koi (paying $200 for $5 koi) with no potential or finding a deal on a good koi with potential. Don't go there again. The supply and demand issue is also well covered.

BE REAL, if you don't have $2500US to spend on your dream koi, then you cannot buy it today.

I am very very interested in what YOU WILL PAY! If you see a koi that you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE!!! In your own mind, this koi is what you have been looking for all your koikichi life...ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT INVOLVED!!! I am going home with this fish TODAY. Max price = $$$

Appreciate your feedback. Would like to see where I stand in my koikichi.

I might go to 3K but that would be rare, and I doubt if I would ever find "that" koi.

Interesting subject, to me an expensive koi is one that doesn't turn out the way "one" may have expected it to. For example, a few years back, I purchased a "perfect" tancho tosai, through the summer the tancho kept on getting lighter and lighter. Eventually it turned into a shiromuji I couldn't even give away, that to me is a VERY expensive koi.

However, today I was looking at a 34" kohaku, the asking price was in the five figure range, and comparing the fish to the asking price I thought it was a good price. I couldn't afford it , but I still thought it was a good deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is considered an expensive koi?-robs-kohaku.jpg  

$2,500. would get you a nissai with some potential at a better known breeder. With the kind of koi i love (asagi) the blue would not have developed so to be sure everything was proper you'd be up to about double that as a three year old minimally.

just for grins and giggles try and take $5,000 to a momotaro auction and see if you can find anything to buy. double that and we're talking tosai!

I think I could save a few $$$ by going to a breeder just emerging and the name not known as well by overseas buyers.

What makes koi expensive? The fact that we like this hobby, what can make koi cheaper is we all stop buying koi and buy domestic...What makes koi expensive is price set by the breeder to the dealer....

I came close to buying a koi for 3000.00, could not sleep that night, called the next day and told them I was not getting that koi, cost to much money. For me two or three hundred dollars for a nice koi is a good price, I would say a koi around three to four years old. Now if I wanted a show koi that a whole different ball game. If I want to win bad enough I guess I would pay what I could afford for the koi, as it would not matter since I would be showing the koi just for fun and that would be only if I did not need the money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    I think I could save a few $$$ by going to a breeder just emerging and the name not known as well by overseas buyers.
    I agree with Dick, If you want a really nice koi, and are willing to spend $$$, you can still get a better deal, by going with some one not as well known. Breeders that are well known big names here in the USA, fish our way over priced. You can get just as nice and sometimes better by going with a breeder who is not as well known or popular.
    If we wanted a fish really bad, we have and will spend in the 5 digit area.

Nisai
    Gonna go on a bit of a ramble first then put my answer to what i find expensive at the bottom.

People place to much emphasis on breeder name in my opinion. I think this is what makes koi expensive.
    Bloodline is far more important. This is an aspect of Koi keeping i want to explore more. (Good excuse for Aquitori to do some bloodline quiz's)

A koi becomes expensive when you cannot afford it or you feel it is not worth the money being asked. It is also dictated by the harvest and market trends.
    My preferance will be to try and pick koi based on quality. I struggle to pick good quality tosai as a new hobbyist - find predicting their future tricky.

So,

Nisai / sansai is a safer option - but up goes the price accordingly.

However if you find a smaller breeder with good bloodlines (sometimes the same bloodlines as a named breeder) you will get a better koi for the same money.
    As Dick Mentioned take 10,000 to a Momtaro auction and get a good quality tosai but that 10,000 will buy you a excellant Nisai / sansai from a unknown.
    To me 10,000 on a tosai is expensive becuse it is a bigger gamble. But 10,000on a Nisai / sansai is cheaper because some of the gamble is removed.

I just feel that if you search for bloodline and quality first and foremost your koi will seem less expensive. This is certainly my plan when my current pond build is complete and i start to replace my pond fillers.

To answer the origional question - expensive to me is where i have had to save for one koi doing without in other area's of my life and i still baulk at the price when it comes to handing over the cash.
    Greg.

"The target is within"

I think people get a little crazy with what they will pay for a koi. A few years ago I purchased a beautiful small utsuri for $90. I raised the fish for one season and decided to enter him in a show. He won best in size, best utsuri and I came away with the judges award (a nice bottle of sake too!!!). People had fish there they paid 5X that amount...and won nothing!! I think that with a good eye..you can find a champion cheap.

I too have seen hobbyist buy fish here for 5 figure range and ask for a 5 figure discount...kinda funny...This hobby is expensive period!!! When I went to Momotaro last year it was crazy seeing Mr. Maeda netting fish from the 500ton green house and giving out some crazy prices $50K, $75K, $125....Those prices are dealer prices....But I do have to admit thou, those fish would have won any show here in the states....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast