Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often we need to clean J-matt?

How often we need to clean J-matt?

My bio-filter is around 1000gal with many J-matts and using it
    as a waterfall. Just wonder how often we need to clean j-matt?
    Your comments are always greatly appreciated.

--Dinh

Hey Dinh!
    Thats a really good question, I've heard so many different opinions about this subject, and they all make sense. Personally I think it depends on how much pre-filtering you have going. If you don't have a lot of solids going through your bio-filter, with the size your filter is, you could probably go a full season before rinsing the J-mat.

I'll not say what is best, just what I did when I had it: About once per month I would turn off the flow of water to the filter, isolate the chamber with mat, swish the mat through the water in the chamber to dislodge debris, drain all the dirty water from the chamber, return the mat, re-fill the chamber and re-start the water flow. The entire operation would take no more than 10 minutes. It was messy, but got settlement debris off the mat. Key points: mat was never allowed to dry and was only exposed to pond water (never any chlorine); swishing it around in the chamber dislodged solids without dislodging bacteria. I would do this no matter how clean it looked. The water always became filthy. Lots of spaces in the mat for fine particles to settle. I probably should have done it weekly. But, the mess deterred me.

My system is like Dinh's not the most ideal system but it works. Both our systems doesn't have a "settling chamber/vortex", let's just say we weren't thinking about koi back then when we built our ponds...The pond is basically the settling chamber and the pump sucks directly from the pond to a ultima bead filter then pumped into a bio chamber....this system works, but the amount of times you should be cleaning it depends on the bio chamber size. I clean my J-mat 2-3 times a year...yes it is a dirty job, but to maintain water quality and have no problems this has to be done. Plus I know on my next pond I and goin to have a settling chamber....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

HERE'S JUST A DIFFERENT SPIN: I have never cleaned mine since the day it was
    eastablished. I have guarded the health of the filter like gold. I believe the longer and older a filter is the better it works. I like all have to deal with parasites occassionally and i have plumbed the system to exclude the filters
    for a few hrs so that things like potassium permanganade can expend itself on what needs to be hit hard and yet leave me a good ( albeit shocked) filter.

I put 40 liters of air into each of my j-mat bio filters at the bottom of the matting. no mulm or waste can settle in the matting. It does end up in the bottom of the vortexes for daily drainage. People accuse me of having a jacuzzi in my filters as they really boil but I think this method keeps a healthy filter that needs no cleaning.

That said when you take you filter material out do not use clorinaded hose water on it . Stick a sump pump in the pond and use that water to "clean".....

Yes, it works for me so far for the last 7 years. But it's a pain
    for not having a "settling chamber". I am in process of planning
    for a new pond. Hope I don't make many mistakes as I did for
    the first pond.

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    My system is like Dinh's not the most ideal system but it works. Both our systems doesn't have a "settling chamber/vortex", let's just say we weren't thinking about koi back then when we built our ponds...The pond is basically the settling chamber and the pump sucks directly from the pond to a ultima bead filter then pumped into a bio chamber....this system works, but the amount of times you should be cleaning it depends on the bio chamber size. I clean my J-mat 2-3 times a year...yes it is a dirty job, but to maintain water quality and have no problems this has to be done. Plus I know on my next pond I and goin to have a settling chamber....

That's a great spin Dick, I feel the same way about leaving the bio alone as long as possible. Most hobbiests out here have flat bottom bio-filters, so they must be vaccumed out a couple of times a year. Pond water for rinsing is key!

I rinse mine.... I think key word is (rinse) twice a year with pond water coming from a sump pump and hose.This is done during fall and spring cleaning.. Followed up with a bit of MG/F I also rinse my Brushes with Pond water.. Its a good think to do wether you have flat or cone bottom chambers..

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    That said when you take you filter material out do not use clorinaded hose water on it . Stick a sump pump in the pond and use that water to "clean".....
    Thanks Dick - This is another good thing I learn from you and other.
    I normally used the city clorinaded hose water to clean up all J-matts.
    Will not do that again;-))

Mr. Quitoriano, this is not related to koi, but wondering whether it is
    the real avatar or just a simulation of Mr. T ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by dinh
    Mr. Quitoriano, this is not related to koi, but wondering whether it is
    the real avatar or just a simulation of Mr. T ;-))
    What you talkin bout fool!!! HAHAHA...I got bored watching my fish one day (yeah after 5 hours)...Well anyways, got the clippers and messed around with my hair...Goin to shape a koi on my head and use that as my Avatar...But Dinh, when I am in Japan I will look for some Kohaks for you...I know you are picky, so I will try my best...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast