Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The whackiness of blue bowling koi

Blue is the color of all Heavenly Gods invoking dream-like feelings, calmness and expensiveness.

Daihonmei
    Kingkong...what was that last word? I think you are on to something.

Nancy,
    Heck yes if you want to make it purtier put it in a blue bowl...BUT it don't swim in a blue pond does it. And one fish could look better in the pond than another yet look worse then it in a blue bowl.
    And pretty much any good koi will look better bowled...even in a black bowl.

It should bother everyone that the koi shows insist on an artificial background to judge koi in. Thye continue to have a dead fish mentality and follow blindly the lead of the Koi sellers.
    I commend the seller that put black in the bottom of his tanks.....he probably got tired of people complaining how the koi didn't look as good once they got it home...or he got tired of people telling him they couldn't find the black koi they bought from him.
    WE are trying to have koi that look good in our ponds, and koi shows should judge under "pond" conditions and not "sale tank" conditions.

Then again...imagine if koi shows did have black tanks and bowls, and the sellers were using blue bowls to make their koi look better than they would in black....people would ask the sellers about the gimmick. not a good light to be put in huh?

Warning do not chug a tall glass of beeru and click on that link.. I gots dizzy man...

I could see WLim designing black bowls now..

Yoru right Luke koi look better in blue. We want them to look better. Omosako has blue pond to sell shiro Utsuri it make this Bicolor koi POP and make the Kage look even better..

Like MikeM says also many have green pond... I have seen it at Hirasawa and at Hosokai as well...

To add to this I have see om dealer even add Meth Blue to the water to make it the koi look better..

My spring and fall treatment when I add MG/F to pond I think it looks really cool. I like the color hate the smell..

Anyhow interesting thread...

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    ...people would ask the sellers about the gimmick. not a good light to be put in huh?
    Good one, Luke!

Have you seen gosanke in an indoor tank lit with gro-light(or equivalent red-tinted lamps)? Wow!

Now, I normally take the koi outside and look at it under sunlight.

Mulberry,
    well YOU and the Jewelers are trying to sell something. You've added to my argument.
    Whereas Judges are trying to judge, and they should be judging koi in relation to how they look in the pond and not in a baby blue bowl.
    Luke - get real. People dress to go out because they have self-respect and for social appropriateness - not because they are hookers, you are too much! I'd look like a dumba$$ at a nice restaurant in an "I Love Koi" T-shirt and muddy shorts. Ruins the aesthetic enjoyment of the occasion. Duh!

Jewelers - yep, sure special lighting is sales. Supermodels are sales. Nascar is sales. IT's ALL sales. Sales isn't necessarily evil & deception, it is just emotionally based most of the time - that is how it works. Trying to convince someone that your opinion is more valid than another on a koi thread is sales. Your are tripping on some "all sales is Willy Loman-style smoke & mirrors" conspiracy theory stuff. Nice try.

Ok, - WHY should koi be judged in relationship to how they look in a pond? Isn't it about the merits of that particular animal meeting certain standards and criteria in comparison to another one that is also in a blue tank? What is so important about re-creating a naturalistic habitat in a koi show? Besides, koi aren't naturally occuring creatures, they are genetically manipulated by man. Koi show ain't a zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    Luke - get real. People dress to go out because they have self-respect and for social appropriateness - not because they are hookers, you are too much! I'd look like a dumba$$ at a nice restaurant in an "I Love Koi" T-shirt and muddy shorts. Ruins the aesthetic enjoyment of the occasion. Duh!

Jewelers - yep, sure special lighting is sales. Supermodels are sales. Nascar is sales. IT's ALL sales. Sales isn't necessarily evil & deception, it is just emotionally based most of the time - that is how it works. Trying to convince someone that your opinion is more valid than another on a koi thread is sales. Your are tripping on some "all sales is Willy Loman-style smoke & mirrors" conspiracy theory stuff. Nice try.

Ok, - WHY should koi be judged in relationship to how they look in a pond? Isn't it about the merits of that particular animal meeting certain standards and criteria in comparison to another one that is also in a blue tank? What is so important about re-creating a naturalistic habitat in a koi show? Besides, koi aren't naturally occuring creatures, they are genetically manipulated by man. Koi show ain't a zoo.

Dam Jen
    gotta love ya girl.. you got some balls.. You make me proud to be a woman..
    When you come out in April, we gotta go have us a few coctails.. maybe we could talk about blue balls.. I mean blue bowls... LOL

I've been looking for an alternative to bowl my blue fish other than in a blue bowl, course the bellies are red....mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    Dam Jen
    gotta love ya girl.. you got some balls.. You make me proud to be a woman..
    When you come out in April, we gotta go have us a few coctails.. maybe we could talk about blue balls.. I mean blue bowls... LOL
    Drinks are on me... For the gals..

Joe

I commend the seller that put black in the bottom of his tanks.....he probably got tired of people complaining how the koi didn't look as good once they got it home...or he got tired of people telling him they couldn't find the black koi they bought from him.
    .....or maybe it was just cheaper tank? I dunno. Outdoor show with no tent would have some hot water with black bottom tanks if sunny location as well.

Sorry I missed you at MAKC show. Didn't remember any naked guy there walking around adamantly proclaiming truth in advertising in front of all the blue tanks.......

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Drinks are on me... For the gals..

Joe
    Start saving your money Joe, cause this girl can drink, when she is not running a show.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast