Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The whackiness of blue bowling koi

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    I've been looking for an alternative to bowl my blue fish other than in a blue bowl, course the bellies are red....mmm
    Dick - holding my color wheel up to your avatar...I'm thinking a Post-It note shade of yellow, slightly darker & more intense...maybe with just a touch of ochre make it look classier. Hmmm, the words "niche marketing" keep floating through my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    Dam Jen
    gotta love ya girl.. you got some balls.. You make me proud to be a woman..
    When you come out in April, we gotta go have us a few coctails.. maybe we could talk about blue balls.. I mean blue bowls... LOL
    heeheehee.....and I try so hard to be good, I really do. I'll probably be in the koi witness protection program by then.

It's a date!

Oyagoi
    I think you are missing the logic behind using blue.

A well known fact about koi is that like many animals, they try to blend in to their background for 'safety'. They do that by opening or retracting their pigment cells.

What studies have shown is that blue causes them to open fully all of their pigmented cells, causing their full colors to show in full 'bloom'. That is why they use blue. That way each koi looks it's best (at least as closely as possible).

They do that to make it a more fair competition, and to ensure each fish looks as good as possible. If they retract or close their pigmentation cells, it will change their entire appearance, and high quality koi can look bad and vice versa.

There is an article about pigmentation cells I have posted a couple times over the years on other threads. I will see if I can find it again.

I have tried to cull koi in a black, white, beige, blue and green dish pans. Black does not work because without the light reflecting from the sides and bottom of the bowl everything is too dark to see the detail. White does not work well either because everything is so bright that the fish will start to blanch out (chromatophores contract) in just a few minutes. Blue and green work OK, but beige is what I have settled on because it provides plenty of light to help see detail, yet the fish do not rapidly blanch-out.

-stevehop kins

No-brainer here...

OK, bottom line is that it matters not what color bowl koi are shown in...as long as they're all shown in the same one. 'Even playing field,' and all that. Now, why blue? Well, as blue has been proven to show koi at their best, and koi shows are for 'showing off' koi, increasing appreciation by koi hobbyists and dazzling potential new keepers, then of course blue it should be.

The wise koi buyer, as mentioned already, takes his koi outside in natural light when possible, and 'could' ask that it be bowled in black to see how it will look in his pond. For a show, though, blue is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Newt

I know, Luke...'shut up, Newt!'

anyone know where i can get a yellow ochre baby bassinette?

Nisai
    Hi
    Great idea Newt but i have never seen a dealer with a black bowl.

Steve W

That's why 'could' is in quotes in my post...it would take some doing, maybe even bringing your own bowl if you really wanted that done. As we all know, though, and as my friend Luke has expected to be said, 'blue' is how it's always been done, and I'd imagine we are all used to choosing koi in blue.

'Marketing' is just that, and it should be, and is, expected that showing your product in it's best 'light' is the way it is.

Newt

Tosai
    I have a black bowl. I later bought a cheap blue bowl that is not the same shade of blue as the ones you see at koi shows. After I became a rich koi dealer I bought some of the "regulation" blue viewing bowls, but I still have the black one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    I have a black bowl. I later bought a cheap blue bowl that is not the same shade of blue as the ones you see at koi shows. After I became a rich koi dealer I bought some of the "regulation" blue viewing bowls, but I still have the black one.

Gene, Was wondering since koi were and the black bow and fish feel secure in darker places.. I was wondering if there was a difference in attitude i.e. less jumping or swimming..

Just a thought...

Joe

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast