Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kohaku Bloodline Trivia....

Thanks for posting info. & pics

Brady -

Thank you for posting the information and photos. This is very helpful and educational. Understanding & identifying characteristics of bloodlines is an aspect of the hobby I have been wanting to learn more about. Please continue!

Jumbo

Maruzome type kiwa,...

Maruzome or scalloped edge kiwa on Yagozen type female Nisai Kohaku. The hi will continue to fill in the yellowish areas at the ends of the scales in the beni patterning. With a fish like this, the age and the sex can certanly help us determine if the beni is coming or going,... this is definitely coming. This is the same fish being held a few pics above. As we say in the South "Hotdawmightee"!

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Mr. brandwood, thank you for pointing out the difference between Maruzome and Kamisori kiwa. As Mulberryjen said, these are wonderful education for new hobbyists like myself.

Mr Brandwood, what type of kiwa would you say on the fish posted below? Maruzome kiwa? or Kamisori type kiwa?

Thanks,
    Sanh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kohaku Bloodline Trivia....-moto-kohaku_kiwa.jpg  

Jumbo

Kiwa,...

Hi Sanh,

Your Kohaku is showing a scalloped style kiwa, or maruzome type. What can you tell us about this Koi? Breeder, age, sex.

Thanks for sharing the pic!

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Brady,

The breeder is Momotaro. It is a Nisai. Not sure about sex. I'm not good at sexing koi. By the look of it's body, I looks like a male. People said the cheek and pectoral fin have roughness to the touch, but this fish does not have the roughness on it's cheek or it's pectoral fin. Here is another picture of the sane fish.

Sanh

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Brandwood
    Hi Sanh,

Your Kohaku is showing a scalloped style kiwa, or maruzome type. What can you tell us about this Koi? Breeder, age, sex.

Thanks for sharing the pic!

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kohaku Bloodline Trivia....-moto-kohaku.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Koi-san
    Brady,

The breeder is Momotaro. It is a Nisai. Not sure about sex. I'm not good at sexing koi. By the look of it's body, I looks like a male. People said the cheek and pectoral fin have roughness to the touch, but this fish does not have the roughness on it's cheek or it's pectoral fin. Here is another picture of the sane fish.

Sanh
    How big is the fish? Must be male if the head feels rough...How old is the fish now?

Aquitori,

This kohaku was mearured 14 1/2" in May this year. I befief it's about 2 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    How big is the fish? Must be male if the head feels rough...How old is the fish now?

Quote Originally Posted by Koi-san
    Aquitori,

This kohaku was mearured 14 1/2" in May this year. I befief it's about 2 yrs old.
    Cool, looks like there is shimi coming up on the head? Here's Momotaro Kohak that just came back from Bnkoi's mudpond. She is roughly 35" and is 5 years old...I was expecting she would be a bit bigger coming from Bnkoi's 500,000 gallon mud pond, but what can you ask for...

(note: she is really 17" inches and is 2 1/2 years old...)

Koi-San: When were the two pictures taken? I'm asking because on the small patch of Hi scales it seems there are fewer Hi scales in the last photo compared to the first. But, I do not see a change in the other steps. Curious.

Mike,

The first one was taken in Oct. last year. The second picture wass taken 7 months later. The Hi in the middle has lost a feel scales due to an accident last winter. There was a small injure around that area. It has healed nicely now, but the Hi spot has reduced to about four scales. I hope it doesn't get fade out.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    Koi-San: When were the two pictures taken? I'm asking because on the small patch of Hi scales it seems there are fewer Hi scales in the last photo compared to the first. But, I do not see a change in the other steps. Curious.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast