Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy again..microscope pics..HELP!!!

Hi jim, My eyepiece is 10X...My lenses are 4,10,40 and 100(oil).

These pics are under the 10X100=1,000X magnification. This microscope is a bausch and lomb. I used it in med school (had to wipe the cobwebs off it first..lol!!!) At the time, I paid $700 for it used. I forgot what the retail was then..but I remember it was a good deal. Hope this helps.

Tategoi
    Dr. B...

There was an outbreak of salt resistant Costia a few months back with koi which were brought in from Japan...Treated it with everything you did... Ended up that the only thing that worked was Paracide Green... Unfortunately only 6 out of 35 koi survived, problem surfaced during quarantine...

Hope this helps, Aloha! Mike

I was going to post my sugestion last time but your fish were already past the help line, in my book. This is very risky for someone that hasn't done it before, but will kill most everything in your pond, and your fish if your not careful.

Here goes.
    Loose the salt, good for Margarita's that's about it.
    Know exactly how much water you have in your pond, exactly.
    Get some Potassium Permanganate.
    If your on well water do a heavy water change 50% or more, IF, you have a lot of suspended debris.
    Bypass your filter, but keep the water moving and have good airation.
    Have a few bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide on hand, this revereses the effects of PP. 1 cup, to 1000gal.
    Do a 3ppm dose of Potassium, the first day it won't last more than a hour or two, but right as the PP is changing color you should be able to net a fish, gently, and pull it up to the surface, and everywhere there is a brown spot, is dead bugs.
    While the PP is in the pond pay very close attention to the fish's breathing, if it gets to labored (on the first day it shouldn't) dump in some peroxide, but only in a emergency, as you won't be able to dose again the second day with the peroxide in the water.
    Second day dose again PP at 3ppm, today they will probably start having a hard time breathing about 2 hours into the treatment, but try to let them go in it for as long as they can.
    Do not leave the pond unattended for more than a bathroom break, keep watch on them as best you can.

You can find more info on how to measure PP to get the ppm rate you need here: http://www.click2roark.com/cgi-win/w...ocument=index2 you will have to log in to access the info.

This is a very risky process, if you are not comfortable, don't do it. Do as much reading by doing a google search on PP before hand. Many people are very scared of PP as they have killed their fish with it, but it can be one of the most effective means of clearing parasites I have ever used, and when the process is done, and you pull a fish up to the surface, you can physically see what was killed by means of browns areas all over your fish.

PP is not a medication, it is a oxidizer, so it will not heal your fish, it will just kill the bugs.

This is my recommendation, but mine only, don't hold me liable, if you don't understand how to use it, don't use it. Being I can't see you fish, they may or may not be able to handle the stress of PP, but if you want to save them, and understand there is a risk involved of losing all of them, I'd take the risk, and use it. As you saw what happened last time, and you lost them all anyways..
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Hi again B.. I had a lot a lot of work today but I took a moment to answer and try to help you. I have taken a few books with picture and still think that some of your are images of flukes. Costia can only be seen by the movement they have under microscope, if they died, they don't move and they are quiete impossible to see. Anyways, I don't find very fair to show picture coming from books just to test the answer you receive, you just said that pictures cames from four fish, I find that a very complicated way of doing.
    Hoping you'll be abble to trust somebody, I wish you' ll find a solution..
    Marco

From what I have seen with costia you don't get many ulcers. Costia kills the koi before that.

When we use to get a lot of koi in we always PP dipped them. But if you don't know what your doing I would think twice about PP dips. 2 1/2 minute and all costia will be dead.

Tom

Hi again. I did send all the pics and info to a local koi health advisor..I haven't heard back yet. I do have some PP. not enough to do the whole pond, but enough for a dip. I treated the whole pond with ap products anti-fluke. I know its an organophosphate...but I had enough on hand. So far...seems good, no flashing...fish seem fine.

Marco, I agree with you...definitely thought I saw flukes. I only put that picture up because I thought I saw costia as well and wanted everyones opinion. I thought it was costia because of the bloated look and the one fish with an ulcer under the chin. I wasn't giving you guys a microbiology test...I was trying to figure out what to do next. I bought some praziquintel for a dip....just in case. I also bought an antibacterial treatment for the bloated fish. It is for dropsy by jungle labs. My next step is to treat the bloated fish for bacterial infection. I fear their kidney's may be too far gone..but I'll try.
    I am going to do more scrapings of fish still in my pond to try and see if anti-fluke worked. I hope it did!!

I am way too scared to PP the whole pond...but hopefully, I did enough to stop the parasites. I will watch closely for flashing and do scrapings. If everything looks clean, then I may have done it!!
    Wish me luck guys....I feel half ready to rent a bulldozer and a pile of dirt and plant some nice flowers where the koi USED to live!!!

Sorry that you are going though this mess again. I know it is very disheartening. Hopefully KHA can come out to your place and advise on your fish, as well as possibly taking a look at your filtration setup. Certainly looks like your fish are now dealing with some internal bacterial issues at this point. Good luck.

Hi mulberryjen..thanks again. I made a slide from 1 fish in my pond who was one of the first I added. I did not see anything. So, I was happy about that. I did see one fish flash. If he is still flashing tommorow, I will catch him and make a slide. Hopefully, The medicine I added will do the trick. I am still going to use the medicated(prazi) food. It says to feed the fish 3 consecutive days..twice a day with this food only. That is three days each week for 4 weeks. Well, Its worth a shot. I'm praying I caught it early this time. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    From what I have seen with costia you don't get many ulcers. Costia kills the koi before that.

When we use to get a lot of koi in we always PP dipped them. But if you don't know what your doing I would think twice about PP dips. 2 1/2 minute and all costia will be dead.

Tom
    Hi Tom..What was the dosage of the PP dip...just in case? I have read that if costia cause ulcers, they tend to be under the chin...which is what I saw. Hopefully, I whacked 'em all with the high dose of formalin and mal green!!!

Brutuscz, do you have a gram scale? If not, don't even think about PP dips.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast