Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: What's your QT process?

What's your QT process?

I woke up this morning with this on my mind.
    Many people seem to just put their fish in QT, and if a problem arises they treat.
    I on the other hand, I treat my fish as if there's a problem.
    I do a round of heavier than recommended Proform C, followed by a round of Prazi.
    It has worked very well for me, and I haven't had a problem in my main pond in quite some time.
    When I intorduce the fish into the main pond I feel much better that they aren't bringing in any unwanted problems.

Also seeing Brut's problem again, thought I might post this and see what people say.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

I know a lot of people don't like shot gun treatments, but I do it on ALL my koi. Also all the koi stay in QT for no less than 4 weeks more like 8 weeks or more.

I do scrape new koi, but some times you miss things. That's why they get the full treatment. I have to say, I don't have to many problem with koi after QT.

Tom

All I do is a good salt bath, I guess I should do more, but so far so good. If the fish looks good with no apparent health problems I dont see the need to stress them out so much. Just kill the parasite and put them in the pond. Im sure this is not what you want to hear, but I believe that Qt needs to be done when pulled from a mud pond to debug them, if they look good after this then why put them through this again?

Nisai
    After the disaster I had simiiar to Brut, my qt process as follow what do you think?
    1st week, just get them to acclimate with the water and monitor their stress level
    2nd week shot gun approach with proformC and prazi
    3rd week scrape and scope
    4th week, aclimate them with water from main pond with 10 % water change daily
    release to main pond after the 4th week if every thing is OK.
    Andrew

Like Koifishgirl, when bring new fish home, all I do is just salt bath, nothing else. So far so good. Haven't have any problem in the last 7 years.

I normally buy koi from few local dealers here in Northern California. There were some koi that I bought directly from Japanese Breeders, but the shipment still thru the local dealers anyway. These local dealers always go thru their QT processes for new arrival from Japan before allowing customer to take the fish home. Specially Genki, they never release a fish one day early before completing their process. With that, I believe the local already completed the QT process, so I don't need to go thru the process one more time. Therefore, all I do is just salt bath.

In additional to Chris's post, what is the technical correct definition of the QT? I know a Koi dealer allows his customer to bring fish home upon the arrival from Japan? I asked the dealer why he does not go thru the QT process before releasing koi to the customers? The answer was, his kois had already been thru QT process in Japan before shimpment --- This made me wonder what is the definition of QT?

Best regards,
    --Dinh

Hi, I dont see the need in QT unless your koi is sick, we are not Qt unless we are sick and can pass on to others. Just give them a good bath and remove unwanted parasites that you might introduce into your pond, like you when they are pulled from the mud pond they go through Qt and then the dealer does the same thing. First stresser= The pull from the mud pond, Second Stresser= Shipping, then you get him and you QT again, If the koi is not sick it might be before the QT process is over with. I would want to be put in the pond so I could settle down and get on with life. Its kind of strange to me, I know how I would do if I was locked up in a small room with not food for four or five days , I would get sick. If your koi is not sick why would you want to make them sick?