Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best thing to kill snails in the pond?

Daihonmei
    little cheap puffers, but you better have some salt in the water as they are a little on the brakish loving side.
    They never bothered my koi, but have been labeled fin-nippers so when you run out of snails keep an eye on them.

Nisai
    I've never seen a snail where the fish could get at them; where the snails seem to be is in my filters and the skimmer box. I have only myself to blame for snails in the back pond: I took media from the front pond (where snails were introduced several years ago when I thought a few lilies were "required" in the pond) and used it to seed the back pond. The back pond has never seen a plant - but I have snails nonetheless. When I see snails, they are dispatched with extreme prejudice!

Nasty, vile creatures . . .

Lee B.

I've had an outbreak of them in my skimmer. Hundreds of them. I solved the problem though. I leave the lid off the skimmer now and the sun does the rest.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

LeeB: Me too. ... I never had snails in my pond in years past. This year with the new pond, I have snails. Little, common pond snails in the vortex & settlement chambers. Not a problem yet, but will be. Has anyone noticed supaverm or dimilin alone eliminating snails? ....I'm not much interested in applying a treatment of both together with salt. In fact, I know I'll not do that. I'd not stress the fish with it all unless essential to eradicate parasite problem.

Nisai
    I haven't noticed that Supaverm or Dimilin are effective. I've used Supaverm, but not Dimilin (never had those particular pests!). However, Trichlorfon will do a number on them. So, if you ever have flukes and use Trichlorfon, it will take care of both problems.

I had a bad experience early on with Trichlorfon - something about water temps and KH - so it's on my personal "ban" list.

Because Dimilin affects chitin production (dragonfly larvae, fish lice, etc. - let alone if it got into the "wilds" and got to crayfish and all that), you'd think it would do a number on snails. It has no affect on their shells, but it should dissolve the little trapdoor "foot". To my knowledge - it does not, or at least in any meaningful way.

I'm kinda like you: I really don't want to toss something in the pond just to toss it in; I can live with the blasted snails - at least for a while. IF, however, I have to treat for something in the pond and it just so happens that it will terminate my snails, oh well !

Lee

PS: your pond is new, and I KNOW you don't have plants in it . . . where do you think your snails came from????

I have no idea where they they came from. I never saw a snail in the old pond. One of my aquaria has pond snails, but nothing used with the aquaria is ever used with the pond. My "guppy pond" has ramshorn snails. Lily pond has no snails at all. I do get a lot of tree frogs and toads in the pond, so I'd guess a frog brought a snail from elsewhere, but not very satisfactory to always blame things on frogs.

Snails and other mollusks are tough to kill. I would be afraid to use anything that was strong enough to kill a snail. Koi keep the pond snails in-check. I call snails which live within the filter "media". Snails in the pipes are another thing all together. However, if you pull a pig (pipe cleaner) from the filter bay to the pond drain the koi have a feast on all the creatures which are dredged out.

-stevehop kins

Nisai
    Good idea, Steve. It never dawned on me that they could collect heavily enough to clog the plumbing, but I guess it could easily happen, especially when I see what they do to the "arms" in my Ultima II. I usually clean things pond-to-filters, and didn't consider filters-to-pond . . .

Mike, I know what you mean: the poor frogs get blamed for everything that goes wrong. I don't mind the frogs so much (I get mostly tree frogs here), because the fish will eat their eggs; it's those blasted toads that drive me to distraction. Between the noise and the fact that nothing, from eggs to toadpoles will be touched by the fish . . . I don't blame tree frogs; I blame toads!
    Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12