Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best thing to kill snails in the pond?

What is the best thing to kill snails in the pond?

I know some one you have this problem and I just wanted to know what is the safest way of killing snails that clog up you bead filter?

Hard to get rid of them entirely..

I have heard Dimlin

PP

also MG/F

If ya lived in a tropical area.. Cichlids and or Loaches would control them. Problem is they thrive in areas in filter.

Joe

Tosai
    I had a mild parasite problem in my pond (7,000 gal.) this past June, treated by a combo of .3% salt, Supaverm and dimilin. I have used both in the past, but never at the same time.

It had an unexpected bonus...within a week, the large snail population in my pre-filter was dead and gone! Also completely gone was the millions of icky worm/larvae that usually infests my 4 pumps and skimmer baskets in the summer.

In the couple of months since then, no reinfestation of either pest has occurred.

Hey Antonio,

I know that Tom Holder has a product called Snails2Zero. You may try calling him and asking him the effects of this product.

Quote Originally Posted by koinut
    Hey Antonio,

I know that Tom Holder has a product called Snails2Zero. You may try calling him and asking him the effects of this product.
    koinut,
    Tom never went to the selling stages of this product. Easten Nishikigoi did some testing on it for him.. And the results were not what Tom was looking for..

Thanks Nancy! Luckily you told me before I told others to go with that product. See you guys here in October.

Sansai
    Roddy Conrad started two threads on Koi Vet that have in depth discussions on what to use, the problem with clogging from the snail bodies, impacts on the pond water, environmental consequences from waste water, etc. They are located in the main forum. The first is titled "Apology to Lee Broillet, snail control, plugging of bead filters with snail bodies". It was last posted to on 06-05-04. If there are 25 threads per index page it is on page 95. The second is titled "Killing snails and snail plugging bead filters, thread No 2". It was last posted to on 09-01-04. It is on page 70.

Steve

Nisai
    Roddy was using Potassium Chloride to kill off the snails. It was going very well until he added a whole lot very rapidly and his fish went into distress. At slower/lower doseages, it worked very well.

Also Trichlorfon will kill off snails - if you will use the product.

I pretty much resign myself to stripping down the filter every few months. I'm not happy with the way Trichlorfon works in my water values.

So, is there a better way? I'd LOVE to find it!!!

Lee B

If I'm not mistaken, salt should do the trick also.

Tosai
    Salt does not begin to bother snails at the levels we use in koi ponds. I have read that salt above .6% will affect them, but that's too high for me.

I tried Potassium Chloride after reading the thread referred to above last summer. It killed off about half my snail problem, but within a month they were everywhere again. I have used PP in my pond up to 4 ppm--it sure stresses the fish, but doesn't touch the snails.

The salt-supaverm-dimilin combo worked great, though. Everything but fish were dead and gone, dragonfly nymphs included. Also killed all the water skeeters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast