Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Agitated water observations

Agitated water observations

With all the interest in Bakki shower and discusion of "alive" water as described by Mr. M, I set up a test which was very easy to do with interesting results. I have an open system, fresh water is piped in via 3in pvc,with no thrashing waterfall feature. I turned the nozzle up with a 90 so that the force of the 60 gpm was gushing upwards to 4-5 feet and then pounding down onto the pond surface. My make-do shower for the day with a 20 thousand gal. tank and 45 koi or so. I returned to area 2 hours later and noticed all of the koi in the splash area, some playfully gameing with the current and others romping head above the water surface and charging into the stream as if they were salmon. I had never seen this behavior before but then I never supplied such an aggresive water flow before. So instead of lackadaisical lifeless koi, we now have enthsiastic frolicing rapid riders.

Gary

KK

Good stuff mate, thought you were gonna sit in the water and agitate the water with your farts when I read the title

tewa

Tewa; I do eat allot of fruit but thats something I would never do in my pond. Carp seem to be powerful swimmers for bottom feeders. I am going this direction. Six hours of arobic white water exercise every day, up the food and see if growth will follow.

Nisai
    Stupid question:

I've seen pictures of your most impressive pond, but I know you live (kinda) in the city - not like Doug's place where he could put the water in a wild pond to percolate back to the aquifer.

Where does your water go? I understand where it comes from, but where does it go? and do you degas it at all before you add it to the pond?

Lee

The water flows out 80% bottom drain and 18% top skimmer. It than is collected into a large cylinder 2 feet below the pond surface. From there it drains into two streams that travel down grade about 150 yards winding around landscape percolating back into the ground .
    The added water is pumped from a 35 foot well directly into pond with no preparation . I always kept surface glassed in order to see and feed koi easier. Now it looks a bit turbulant but koi are having a blast swimming into rapids.

Oyagoi
    35 ft? Not very deep, you must be sitting over an aquifer os be in a low lying area. Have you checked what the water is like coming out, soft, hard, txxds, etc? (that's before the farting of course)

Tosai
    Isn't water which comes directly out of the ground typically low in O2?

Smile

I am going to order a dissolved oxygen meter today. The water is moderate in hardness say soft 0-17.1 ppm me about 60-120 ppm. Small history; Calcium carbonate settling out of water coated tiny bits of shell and sand in layer upon layer. The spherical grains are called ooides. The ooides later cemented into rock known as Miami Oolite limestone over a long period of time. It resembles a sponge, very porous and permeable. The water is approx. 11 feet below solid limestone oolite in my case. So after well is drilled thru the easily influenced water pumped is clear but hard having dissolved minerals (calcium and magneium +). The oxygen level is low I would imagine since it has never been exposed to the atmosphere. Never have metered DO so that will be next. I will also try farting directly into water but only after I check the warranty the instrument provides. LOL