Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: what pond turnover rate do you think is best?

what pond turnover rate do you think is best?

I know this is a very general question and typically we have two different systems wet/drys or submerged systems.

I am interested to see what turnover rate you guys think is best for a given submerge system (whether multi chambers or nexus) or wet/drys (bakki shower and lava rock shower).

Different media will require different flows so its probably easier to describe your own set up first and what pond turnover rate you are using and whether you think that is best for your system.

tewa

my filter system includes 3 vortex chambers filled with j-mat and one 3 stack bakki. My pond goes thru the system once every 40 minutes. I consider mine not the poster child for filtration but over the 25 plus years of being in koi and the last decade putting on seminars, I like to push the extremes for knowledge.

I try to read and learn from others but I'm insistant on hands on info that I teach from, not book learning from someone else.

just about 2 months ago I got my hands on 11 asagi tosai in the 4-4 1/2 inch
    size class. I have yet to put a net in there but most have doubled in size and one I'll bet is closer to 9-10. I'll push them thru the end of this month at 78-80 F and 45% protein food and select 2 to go thru winter with me.

I think a good friend of mine over ther decades expressed it pretty well a few weeks ago, when I told her I had 14 asagi's. She said " that's kind of extreme isn't it? " (lol) I quess maybe she was right! So I've been looking for a good shusui to balance it out <grin>

I turnover my indoor ponds every 15 minutes and I think that is ideal. This is the reason why I am exploring the use of propeller pumps, so I can acheive the same results outside without paying an arm and a leg for electricity.

My current propeller pump uses 197 watts and delivers around 17,500gph. If I use two of these to run settling chambers and submerged filters with returns as (TPRs) back to the pond, plus my two sequence 4400 pumps to run baki showers, that would give me around 43,000gph turnover. My system is around 20,000gallons, so that would give me a 30 minute turn-over rate, which I think should be more acceptable.

As for the flow rate over various media, I think the faster the better (to a certain degree). Look how good the bacteria grows inside your piping. Obiously its not getting blasted off of there.

My goal is every 45 minutes. Under one-hour is very important to me.

Oyagoi
    Who made your prop pump greg?

Daihonmei
    JG,
    his PropPump is on themudpond.com. You're a member aren't you? Lots of pics explaining how he used backyard science to figure the flow....what ever it is it is a huge volume.