Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxygen

Nisai
    Thanks

Guys for sorting me out,

But if you don't ask.

Steve W

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur
    Drain air diffusers contribute very little to water oxygenation, that is not their purpose. What they do is destratify the water column layers (unless like someone posted you have low TPRs pointing up and doing this function), but more importantly, the water lifted by the air, moves to the pond sides, then down the pond walls, thus wiping down any debris hanging onto the wall algae.

I recommend using bottom drain air diffusers only 4-6 hours per day (I do it on a timer when I am not likely to be around watching the fish), leaving the TPR induced circulation most esffective 18-20 hours a day.
    Do you think it would make a difference if you ran it 4-6 hours during the night as opposed to the day time?
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W
    Thanks

Guys for sorting me out,

But if you don't ask.

Steve W

Steve any question is good question. Many lurkers out there who may find the information useful..

Hi Jim,

Koi need a calm spot to rest at night. While during the day they "play" in the TPRs current and the air diffuser column, at night I find them huddled the only relatively calm corner of the pond.

Air diffusers actually make a LOT of noise under water, well relatively speaking, but also think how well water carries sound. This can make the fish feel unsecure at night when vision from what is out of the pond (predator?) is low, and sound is most of what they have left for protection.

Food for thought.

Noise within the pond is a new frontier in koikeeping. Air domes and our other technology creates a lot of noise compared to the quiet of a mud pond. A necessary evil?? The Evolution Aqua guys are studying it now. It will be interesting where the search for perfection leads.

Arthur, I disagree on the comment that air diffusers do not materially contribute to oxygenation. The de-stratification effect is moving water to the surface continually, where oxygen exchange is best performed. Oxygen levels in lakes with bottom aeration devices are much higher than before aeration. The same effect is obtained by pumping water upward from the bottom to disperse over the surface. If what you meant was that it does not matter whether aeration or other means are used to keep the water moving, I agree.

MikeM,

I went over my post and agree that the paragraph could have been clearer. What I mean is that bottom air diffusers' main function is not aeration and that the oxygenation they contribute is relatively small compared to the amount of white water created otherwise such as waterfall, rocky stream ...

The fact is that very little oxygen is exchanged between a bubble or air and water. To have such exchange, the water surface tension must be broken and this only happen at the surface.

In our ponds we pump water from the bottom drains continuously to filter it and return it to the top/surface via a waterfall or TPRs. Shutting off bottom air diffusers at night does not interrupt the destratification process, where in a large natural pond or lake, bottom air diffusers are often the only means of destratification.

Hope this makes it clear.
    Arthur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12